Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBPorts Ubuntu Touch To Be Supported By The Purism Librem 5

Phoronix: UBPorts Ubuntu Touch To Be Supported By The Purism Librem 5

In addition to Purism working on their GNOME-based interface with their PureOS GNU/Linux on their upcoming Librem 5 smartphone as well as supporting KDE Plasma Mobile as another option, they will also be supporting the UBPorts community Ubuntu Touch work on this privacy-minded Linux smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, while we're at the, we could also get the Sailfish community do at least a community port (despite Purism not interested in working with Jolla for a commercial port, on ground of "not all got has been finished being converted to GPL yet").

Comment

I can't trust Purism after they screwd up plasma mobile. We're in talk with them Jolla, plasma mobile and others at Fosdem. It feels like they have no idea what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        It feels like they have no idea what they are doing.
        "we will rewrite GNOME from scratch for this phone because, lol, reasons" was what sealed the coffin, imho

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          I can't trust Purism after they screwd up plasma mobile. We're in talk with them Jolla, plasma mobile and others at Fosdem. It feels like they have no idea what they are doing.
          They wrote on their site: "In addition to UBports, Purism is working with GNOME and supporting KDE Plasma Mobile..."

Comment

Finally a native phone for ubports guys

Comment

Dear KDE trolls, please stop being butthurt.
              It's their choice what the primary DE will be and the phone will support KDE Mobile aswell, so stfu and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                It's their choice what the primary DE will be and the phone will support KDE Mobile aswell, so stfu and be happy.
                While it is their right to blow money out of the window, I have a vested interest in something like Librem 5 succeeding.

But if they keep doing stupid shit like writing their own DE from scratch and then trying to support (but not polish) every other DE around, they are going to end up with an inferior UI, and some other VERY inferior UIs.

I'd rather see them focus on either GNOME or KDE or Ubports (personal preference on Ubports as it is more mobile-like than the other two) and do a good job on that, and then after release think about others.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  While it is their right to blow money out of the window, I have a vested interest in something like Librem 5 succeeding.
                  So do most of us here, I spent almost a weeks worth of my salary to fund this damn phone.

But if they keep doing stupid shit like writing their own DE from scratch and then trying to support (but not polish) every other DE around, they are going to end up with an inferior UI, and some other VERY inferior UIs.
                  People have been nagging about this for months now and I'm sure that they are aware of it, but they still don't care so I bet that they are stubborn about this decision.
                  Let's just shut up, let them fail spectacularly (or succeed, or just be "good enough") and leave it at that because it does not seem like they are going to change their minds.

I'd rather see them focus on either GNOME or KDE or Ubports (personal preference on Ubports as it is more mobile-like than the other two) and do a good job on that, and then after release think about others.
                  They are focusing on GNOME, this is a collaboration so it does not seem like it will be developed in-house but that the UBports team is receiving devkits and actually doing the hard work themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                    They are focusing on GNOME
                    No, they are not. They say they do but it's a lie. They use their own compositor (a fork of Rootston), write a custom shell, and ship GTK apps with it. That's not Gnome. Gnome would be to use Gnome Shell as compositor and shell.

Comment

Working...
                    X