No announcement yet.

Purism Hires GNOME Developer For Librem 5 UI/UX Designer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome worked fine on my old Thinkpad X220T. I see no problem with touch interface in GNOME. Good choice by Purism.

Comment

Another problem I have with Purim going with GTK is that writing apps in GTK is a pain in the ass. Qt/QML more sensible if they want more devs developing apps for the phone. Again, why they choose GTK and Gnome?

I understand that Plasma Mobile is bad and all, but Gnome? Gnome has nothing to do with a tablet/phone. They're going to run into a heck lot of problems. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

---edit----
      I took Ubuntu years to develop Unity8. How is it possible for Purism to develop a new desktop in 8 months?
      Last edited by marty1885; 17 April 2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        IMO even if KDE Mobile might be the best choice as of now, a Linux phone just wouldn't be the same if you didn't have the biggest desktops Gnome and KDE to choose from.
        They need to focus on what's reasonable. Having Gnome and KDE available to choose from is far less important than actually having the phone available to begin with. The time they have left is too tight even for supporting just KDE alone, let alone KDE and Gnome and let alone building a new stack and making it the primary. They should first focus on fastest way to market and then think about adding other desktops. What rages the community is that Purism is risking someone else's money.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

They need to focus on what's reasonable. Having Gnome and KDE available to choose from is far less important than actually having the phone available to begin with. The time they have left is too tight even for supporting just KDE alone, let alone KDE and Gnome and let alone building a new stack and making it the primary. They should first focus on fastest way to market and then think about adding other desktops. What rages the community is that Purism is risking someone else's money.
          (Just suspicious.) Maybe, just maybe, Purism's plan is to not have a functioning phone at the first and build it along with the community. (So expect a hacky UI at launch.)

That explains what Purism is doing. And it sounds like a bad idea.

Comment

Why is it cuntish?
            - Hey, let's use your software stack on our new phone.
            - Will you be contributing something back?
            - NO FUCK YOU GNOME IS THE GREATEST DESKTOP EVER ONLY GNOME MATTERS GNOME GNOME GNOME GNOME

Comment

Looks like they're doing some solid work on open source Vivante GPU drivers, if that continues, then they can achieve their goal for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Pretty much. Qt is vastly superior on mobile devices and touch screens in general.
                What about rasterman's EFL? It's great for people who value aliased void* pointers and C++ emulated with C.

Comment

My guess is that it will be released but that the initial experience will be pretty bad. If they keep up the development a year or two after the release of the phone it might become a good alternative if you can live without the major apps on android/iOS.
                  Kirigami works fine on Android, btw, as AFAIK also on iOS. If they embraced Kirigami as first-class citizen and helped to generate buzz for it even among devs who aren't even interested in Librem, Librem versions of the apps those devs developed would be only one step away.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                    - Hey, let's use your software stack on our new phone.
                    - Will you be contributing something back?
                    - NO FUCK YOU GNOME IS THE GREATEST DESKTOP EVER ONLY GNOME MATTERS GNOME GNOME GNOME GNOME
                    It's not the primary desktop on it, they are simply porting it to their phone.
                    I don't see you being pissed on Meizu for using Ubuntu Touch on their special edition phone without contributing upstream.

Comment

It's not the primary desktop on it, they are simply porting it to their phone.
                      I don't see you being pissed on Meizu for using Ubuntu Touch on their special edition phone without contributing upstream.
                      That's because I didn't know.

If you're a company and are leveraging open-source software without contributing upstream, you're an asshole.

Comment

Working...
                      X