Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Hires GNOME Developer For Librem 5 UI/UX Designer

Phoronix: Purism Hires GNOME Developer For Librem 5 UI/UX Designer

Purism's latest hire to work on the Librem 5 privacy-minded Linux smartphone effort is a UI/UX designer who has long been involved with GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome developer as UI/UX designer? Now you'll have to use a mouse with your smartphone. They're doing everything opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Gnome developer as UI/UX designer? Now you'll have to use a mouse with your smartphone. They're doing everything opposite.
      In that case that should please those using gnome on the desktop and complaining that it has been designed for mobile/tablet devices.

Win win.

Comment

the UI will be GTK-based, and we’re using upstream GNOME apps (which we’re adapting with a responsive layou
        Has Purism has just commited suicide?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          Has Purism has just commited suicide?
          Pretty much. Qt is vastly superior on mobile devices and touch screens in general.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            Pretty much. Qt is vastly superior on mobile devices and touch screens in general.
            And at least there are some basic apps written in Qt for the most important use cases. If they really think they can rewrite everything in GTK+ this is just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
              Pretty much. Qt is vastly superior in general.
              fixed

Comment

On one side you only have so much time and budget to build your own thing, in this case was to deliver a "true Linux Phone", so why not work with KDE directly first and deliver with less stress and less feeling like going outside the scope (from the public/observer perspective)?

On the other side you have "good, diversity.. just like Linux and GNU itself".

I have not study economics, I do not know how to publish or getting people talking about my ideas. My feeling/opinions towards this is to work on what exists (to minimize problems as much as possible) and extend the possibilities ONLY when the product is shipped. The only thing I can do is to wait and see what will happen, though I really want this to really succeed. I believe we REALLY need a true Linux Phone on me so I do not need to be concerned on privacy (technically the privacy issue is on me, just like on a PC).

Comment

I have to disagree with you guys.
                  I use Gnome on my 2in1 on daily basis and all Gnome-apps works flawlessly with touch. The onscreenkeyboard is buggy and Firefox still has no default touchscreen support, but everything else works fine.
                  FYI running Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome, maybe the onscreenkeyboard runs better on newer versions of Gnome, time will tell.

Comment

They should have focused on Plasma Mobile.

Comment

Working...
                    X