• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Same applies to KDE.
    And same applies to Enlightenment.

Comment

A mobile phone without apps... It doesn't take a clairvoyant to predict the future (or lack of it) of this phone.

It bugs me out because this is the phone I'd love to have if it could have android apps running inside containers. This project should have only been launched after Anbox or something alike was working flawlessly.
      No apps in this business means no clients, common knowledge for the mobile market. And no clients means no business, common knowledge for... everything.

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
        A mobile phone without apps... It doesn't take a clairvoyant to predict the future (or lack of it) of this phone.
        Librem will be using standard Linux stack so in theory porting standard Linux applications will be possible and much easier than do it to Android.

Issue will be with external, proprietary apps. Even big companies failed in this area - Microsoft with their Windows Mobile/Phone. Microsoft after failure with their own app ecosystem now is investing in PWA "applications" (websites in full screen). It looks like Google also is supporting PWA (official Google Maps GO edition in Android it is website). Facebook, Twitter - also could be used from mobile browser.

Comment

No apps? Did you stumble in here from a windows forum?

There are thousands of Linux packages available right now for ARM architecture. Arch/Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora ARM and other distros already provide fully functional desktop environments. Yes, many would be clunky on a phone without UI rework, could be battery hogs, and might not be immediately included in Purism's mobile OS at launch so it's definitely a bleeding-edge / early-adopter situation, but it's just wrong to claim there are (or would be) no apps.

It bugs me out because this is the phone I'd love to have if it could have android apps running inside containers. This project should have only been launched after Anbox or something alike was working flawlessly.
          You make is sound like this phone already launched, failed, and Purism just filed for bankruptcy... Realistically, it could be a full year from now before these phones are actually built and in the hands of users (longer for those who aren't original backers), plenty of time for Anbox or other similar projects to reach a usable state.

Comment

Originally posted by dedxi View Post
            No apps? Did you stumble in here from a windows forum?
            No... but actually I could have, if I just came from a Windows mobile forum, or a Firefox mobile forum or an Ubuntu mobile forum or something similar, guess what I would have been saying.
            Yes exactly that, no apps means failure in the mobile business nowadays.

You mention thousands of packages and yes, I also have Synaptic package manager installed but let's face reality for a while, put all those on a blender and see what bleeds for mobile use... A dumb phone running java would beat that by miles in terms of actually usable mobile apps and number of available apps.
            And where are the Angry Birds and the Fortnites and the Clashes of Clans? Would you even consider releasing a phone nowadays without WhatsApp Messenger? These are basics, there's no point getting into anything more detailed.

Anbox is in pre-alpha state. It could be ready somewhere between many months from now and never, so it's a really bad call counting on something that others are making and doesn't even exist yet.

The security aspect of the phone is also a tricky selling point, if we look at Silent Circle's Blackphone we get a horrifying scenario when the strong selling point of a phone is security. Commercially it failed big time, unfortunately it can be called nothing more than a failure. And in this example we are even talking about a phone which runs every Android app.

So looking at all these please give the good news because I don't have any, currently (or in a year from now) I really can't see a path for success. I see it as a gadget for some Linux fans to have around, but nor even as their only mobile phone.

Comment

Working...
            X