Firefox Reality: Linux-Supported Browser For AR/VR Mixed Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

From the person that wrote in the tip, but checking further now...

We're currently targeting only next-generation stand-alone AR and VR headsets, so there are no current plans for smart-phone or desktop versions of Firefox Reality. That said, it's an open source project and the future is a strange place, so it's hard to predict where it will go.

Comment

wait what?

We're currently targeting only next-generation stand-alone AR and VR headsets
      So they're targeting the Vive Focus and Lenovo Mirage? Their blog post indicates at least the Focus...

there are no current plans for smart-phone or desktop versions of Firefox Reality.
      ...but they're not planning to target the rest of the Daydream Ecosystem? Why? Support would essentially come free since you're targeting the platform anyways, and there's nothing I've seen to suggest their app should be dependent on WorldSense....

Am I missing something here? I mean even if they only meant the current Chinese launch of the Vive Focus, it's essentially just Daydream without Google services, supporting Daydream on top would be a negligible amount of extra code.

Comment

Their github readme currently says this:
        You can build for different devices:
        • oculusvr => GearVR & Oculus Go
        • svr => Qualcomm & ODG glasses
        • wavevr => Vive Focus

These devices are only for testing:
        • googlevr => Daydream
        • noapi => Runs on standard Android phone without headset

Comment

How about starting theirs resources to fix real bugs that make developers life a nightmare like breaking people's LOCAL development environments just because a company bought an INTERNET domain?
          I've been using the .dev domain for more than 5 years and now all of a suddend it doesn't work anymore with the latest version of Firefox.
          I spent a lot of time debugging the cause of it and in the end I had to downgrade Firefox to an older version to make it work again.
          On my local Apache environment I have a site that requires SSL for development, so I have been using a self signed certificate. The local site has worked fine in Firefox and Chrome until now, but a...

So, when are they going to fix real bugs and stop wasting time on this VR ?

Comment

Working...
          X