Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBPorts Is Working On Unity 8 For Debian

Phoronix: UBPorts Is Working On Unity 8 For Debian

The UBPorts community continues pushing Unity 8 for their mobile/convergence vision in the absence of Canonical as well as making other improvements. Besides offering Unity 8 to Ubuntu users, they are also working on Debian support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Regarding Unity 8 in the Debian repositories, the topic is discussed starting at about 51:31 in the Ubuntu Touch Q&A 24 video.

Also, for those who are interested, the goal to support Project Treble is discussed starting at about 25:35 in the video.

Comment

it would be nice to see it in (upcoming) opensuse. it has a long support time, so keeping it running shouldn't be that hard (methinks)

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
        it would be nice to see it in (upcoming) opensuse. it has a long support time, so keeping it running shouldn't be that hard (methinks)
        Am I to understand that the community is paralelling Canonical LTS support cycles now that Unity 8 is non-Canonical.

Comment

Are they gonna switch from Mir protocol from Wayland protocol, or what? Mir protocol seems like not getting anywhere.

Comment

That is good. They really need to add some sort of Nvidia driver support for me to use it though.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Are they gonna switch from Mir protocol from Wayland protocol, or what? Mir protocol seems like not getting anywhere.
              Unity8 will continue to use Mir as its display server. However, Mir (the display server) is being repurposed as a Wayland compositor, and "Once Mir’s support for Wayland clients is on a par with the support for 'native' Mir clients [Canonical] will likely phase out support for the latter." Sometime before that, Unity8 will be fully Wayland compliant.

So yes, Unity8 will eventually use Wayland, by way of the Mir display server.

Confusing, no?

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                Unity was the only thing that kept me on Ubuntu for years, and now, a year after I finally moved on to Debian, Unity is coming too. Very ironic.

I don't think I would go back to using it, but it would be great to have that option on Debian too.
                Same, I can't understand the change to gnome, if they want a wayland to have better support they simply need to move mir to wayland nothintg more, ubuntu 17.10 was really bad I will see this new Lts if it will become another nightmare

Comment

Canonical obsession with Mir, which almost wipe out Ubuntu Phone/Touch OS, can't be justified in any way. Mir it's not even superior to Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                    Mir it's not even superior to Wayland
                    Mir it's a compositor, and Wayland is a protocol. Now Mir supports the Wayland protocol can composite Wayland clients. Your comparation doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X