Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Working To Ship Sailfish OS 3.0 This Year

Phoronix: Jolla Working To Ship Sailfish OS 3.0 This Year

Jolla is talking up Sailfish OS 3.0 this week at the Embedded World conference as the "next-generation of the independent mobile operating system" and plans to ship it this calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really really really wonder what they're doing with blockchain. I also hope they're not spending too much time to that, and that it's just a way to get investors money.

Comment

Some of the things like "New security architecture" sound exciting, since I feel that Sailfish has been lacking in this regard. While it has been marketed as safe and secure, it doesn't have isolation between apps like Android has. I also like that they are going to update the Android support to newer version of Android since it is already limiting the software you can run. The best is the availability part, though. "Sailfish 3 will be rolled out in phases during Q3/2018 for all licensees and customers." So everyone with Jolla will get an update unlike in Android world. I'm not sure about unofficial ports that are not maintained anymore, but they are not Jolla customers.

It'll be also interesting to see how Sailfish will work and succeed on feature phones. I wonder if they have some deal with HMD since they have a mock up of something that looks a lot like the new Nokia 3310.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        It'll be also interesting to see how Sailfish will work and succeed on feature phones.
        If you take into account that the venerable Jolla 1 phone has performance specs that aren't much different from what will probably hit the shelfs over the next year on feature phones, and that the Jolla 1's systems isn't that bad even with the latest shiny early-release update, there's good hope that Sailfish will perform well on upcoming feature phone.
        Which isn't an immense surprise to anyone familiar with how much Qt/QML is light-weight.
        (There's a reason why Nokia was backing Qt, back before the whole Elop shit-show happened upon them).

I wonder if they have some deal with HMD since they have a mock up of something that looks a lot like the new Nokia 3310.
        People currently in Barcelona at the Mobile World Congress have also spotted Nokia 3 handsets running Sailfish OS in Jolla's booth.

But not clear if that's just some community (like Fairphone) / experimental (like the Sailfish Smart Watch) ports, or if this is something official (like Xperia X, XA2, etc. done as part of Sony's "Open Device" efforts)

A sign that Jolla is trying to get back to their Nokia roots ?

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
          I really really really wonder what they're doing with blockchain. I also hope they're not spending too much time to that, and that it's just a way to get investors money.
          "Jolla Ltd., the Finnish mobile company and blockchain solution developer Zipper today announced a joint community program aiming to develop a dedicated blockchain smartphone solution for easy and secure use of cryptocurrencies and blockchain applications."

And yet another try of digital token pre-sale (by Zipper). Don't know anything about the solution, though.

Comment

Sweet. It's amazing just how well supported the Jolla (1) phone is. It's been how many years now? And it's still getting the latest and greatest software!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Sweet. It's amazing just how well supported the Jolla (1) phone is. It's been how many years now? And it's still getting the latest and greatest software!
              It was released late 2013.
              On my phone (JP-1301) the digitizer stopped working as it should.

Comment

Working...
              X