Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apopas
    replied
    I ordered a cheap thinkpad X61 from ebay and I plan to put a 1400x1050 4:3 screen on it. It's old but I use my laptop just for browsing, reading and writing (for everything else I have my desktop) so the only thing I'll miss is the great battery life of my current thinkpad x260. I just got sick from the 16:9 monitors. They are good only for watching videos in youtube and to place windows side by side.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Uqbar View Post

3. 15" is too large
    Can't go back to anything smaller than 15" now that I started using it 2 years ago, and especially now that 15" notebooks can be pretty thin and light. As a bonus, I really enjoy not having to squish my testicles together when I type.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
    Dear Santa!
    I want a Dell Latitude E6440 or E6540 or a HP Zbook 15 G2, with:
    • all ports that are already on the aforementioned devices
    • At least one Thunderbolt 3 connector (it can replace TB2 on the Zbook)
    • non-PWM FHD IPS or VA display
    • a 35W Raven Ridge APU
    • Coreboot
    That's it.
    Or ThinkPad, or ProBook/EliteBook, with 14" screen and at least two digital video outputs.

Leave a comment:

• OneBitUser
    replied
    Dear Santa!
    I want a Dell Latitude E6440 or E6540 or a HP Zbook 15 G2, with:
    • all ports that are already on the aforementioned devices
    • At least one Thunderbolt 3 connector (it can replace TB2 on the Zbook)
    • non-PWM FHD IPS or VA display
    • a 35W Raven Ridge APU
    • Coreboot
    That's it.

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    I am currently using an all-plastic Acer Travelmate B113, an 11" netbook where I could later put an 8GB module and swap the HD with an SSD.
    It's light and used to work well in the past three years. It runs well also a few small VMs with QEMU. It costed me about 150 euros for the initial configuration.
    Now it's showing its age (especially the dispaly) and maybe something similar with 2 extra threads (it has 2) would really be fine.
    But it's very difficult to find cheap devices that can can later upgraded to extend their usability and lifespan.

Leave a comment:

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    these Clevo rebrands are often not really competitive with Dell, Asus and other manufacturers
    Sometimes it can be the other way around.

I was looking for a replacement for my VAIO Z2, Sony had given up on laptops and none of the other usual suspects had any machine that was powerful and light.

Some didn't have a configuration with the new quad-core i7, some had RAM limitation of 8GB (seriously?!), a lot had limited themselves to USB-C connctors.

The Clevo 13" PRO V2 I've finally bought from one of these Linux resellers (Tuxedo) has 32GB RAM, the 4x i7, lots of standard ports and is about the weight of the Z2.

During reseach I was mostly disappointed by Dell. They used to have very good configurability, but now it is down to choose which version of Windows you'd like to have pre-installed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Uqbar View Post

For the 15":
    1. I don't need the optical spindle
    2. Only 4GB ram, no upgrade (I am a devop)
    3. 15" is too large

For the 11"
    1. Only 2GB RAM, no upgrade
    2. No ethernet
    Cheapness has it's price too,... My wife had bought IdeaPad 100s, returned it in two days, because the hinges were so bad, that screen was flickering when laptop was being moved.

I would never go to non business class of laptops. I have used, and I like: Lenovo Thinkpad T440p, and HP ProBook 4530s. The HP laptop still lives, it works for 5+ years, and it's almost as new. It survived two water spills over it (well, my wife surely needs water-spill resistant keyboard ). It also survived serious hit into metal.

EDIT: The T440p laptop still lives too, but it's younger than the 4530s. And, it performs well, too.
    Last edited by Guest; 09 February 2018, 05:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    Originally posted by Cape View Post
    I would really like to buy a System76/KDE Slimbook/Purism Librem laptop, but then i go to amazon and see this at 350€ and I'm an europoor... Freedom certainly has its price.
    For the 15":
    1. I don't need the optical spindle
    2. Only 4GB ram, no upgrade (I am a devop)
    3. 15" is too large

For the 11"
    1. Only 2GB RAM, no upgrade
    2. No ethernet

Leave a comment:

• Cape
    replied
    I would really like to buy a System76/KDE Slimbook/Purism Librem laptop, but then i go to amazon and see this at 350€ and I'm an europoor... Freedom certainly has its price.

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    Originally posted by scratchi View Post
    does it have coreboot? coreboot or bust
    I wish it had!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X