X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

return of btrfs feature is due to kernel version update for X

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

So, what do you run on your smartphone? AOSP is getting more closed source/non-free on a day-by-day basis. Most SailfishOS functionallity that's non-free, is in fact open source; i.e., those components are plain text files in /usr/share. In the meanwhile, Jolla does actually release *more* source.

It *is* the most viable, day-to-day usable smartphone operating system out there, which does not eat privacy for breakfast, and spits on your freedom.
      Sh*ty Android, of course

I understand what you say and even agree with you!!!

What i'm complaining is that they said they would opensource the OS and still didn't!!!

I would really like something like Mer+Plasma... or FirefoxOS (If it didn't it went under...)

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        Better Android support is a must. As far as I remember, their emulator is still emulating v4.4 KitKat...
        The core problem is that Android is not emulated.

It's a 3rd party android layer : basically an alternative JIT egine (AlienDalvik, Myriad's own rewrite of the Google Dalvik JIT engine), running on top of API layer translation (things that make, e.g., SailfishOS' pulseaudio output appear as android's specific audio outputs, Sailfish's contactsd appear as android contacts, etc.).

And that's where the 2 main problem lay :

- 4.4 KitKat was the last official Android to rely on Dalvik JIT engine. Starting from 5.0 Lollipop, Android moved to a different "ART" infrastructure.
        So Jolla would need an entire different infrastructure (think Andbox).

- Some Sailfish OS' fullbown GNU/Linux API aren't forwarded yet to Android API inside Dalvik. e.g.: for Bluetooth Sailfish OS uses BlueZ like thousands of other Linux install. But Android uses a different BlueDroid API layer. There's no low-level support of bluetooth devices inside android apps. If you use a device that's available as a "generic" device, it works : Bluetooth HID devices are handled by BlueZ and can show up as vanilla keyboards in WhatsApp. Bluetooth speakers are handled by BlueZ and Pulseaudio, and can be used as a simple audio output in Spotify. But the vendor-specific app by Logitech that is used to upload firmware update into your UE MegaBoom speakers cannot work.
        Better Android support is going to need more API forwarder/wrappers.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
          Why should I spend money on a system that is less free and has less features at the same time?
          Because Android is essentialy spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
            I understand what you say and even agree with you!!!
            I agree with rubdos , too.

Better an OS that
            - has all the core component accessible, and gives you full access without requiring your to run exploit to access your own device,
            - where most of the non-free (per FSF's definitions) component are just UI component
            - majority of those non-free UI component happens to still be open-source (FSF's distinction between free and open) as the UI is mostly QML/JS
            - those QML/JS can still be patched
            - basically, the only problematic non-free part is the kernel drivers and firmwares by the chipset's/PCB's hardware manufacturer that nowadays cannot be avoided on any currently smartphone (though Purism is hoping to change that with Librem 5 smartphone).

Rather than the current android Situation :
            - where a huge chunk critical for a lot of applications is closed-source : Google Services
            - and by closed source, I mean Java-like-ish bytecodes, not something that's trivial to patch
            - and where nearly all of the smartphone on the market are locked nightmares.

(A big thank to the few manufacturer like Sony who still make phone that can be unlocked on purpose.)
            (I would never have expected to be thankful for something by Sony)

I would really like something like Mer+Plasma... or FirefoxOS (If it didn't it went under...)
            Then you shoudl definitely look at Glacier UI. Also runs atop of Wayland and Qt5 just like Lipstick, but free/libre-opensource and community built.

(Myself, I'm happy to be waiting with a patchable Lipstick. I was already happy with the patchable Palm/HP webOS).

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
              return of btrfs feature is due to kernel version update for X
              As far as I know, Sony still isn't enabling neither BTRFS (they don't use it) nor modules (for "security" reasons) in their official binary release of the kernel.

So Sony's move to the 4.4 kernel - the oldest still 100% supported and patched officially by google for android (though note that they also support 3.18 for older hardware with some reservations) - isn't the only reason for BTRFS.

Availability of BTRFS more likely means that now Jolla is pulling Sony's official source for the kernel and rebuilding it with their special additional need (BTRFS drivers compiled in).

Comment

I am very satisfied with my Xperia X running SailfishX
                Privacy impact non? check
                Real admin of my own device? check
                Terminal that lets me do what ever i want? check
                The best is that it's a real linux distribution and i am free to do what ever crazy idea that pops up in my head.

I got no problems at all, the things i see is some people having problems with certain bluetooth devices but all my BT devices work.
                I do think that there's lacking a bit information about the licensed software that you can install if you own a license, like what software it is and how to install it.
                If you want word suggestions when typing then you need to install "Predictive text input" (jolla-xt9), but how should a user know that?
                The store app search function isn't the best and sometimes it's better to list all apps instead of using the search function, it's like the store miss tags for apps.
                I also feel that the store was better in the first Jolla device where all android apps had a little icon informing that it's not an native app, with store in SailfishX they all look the same and to check if it's native or android app i need to click on the apps description like a see more button and then scroll to the end where it type Sailfish-app or Android-app
                If you want any navigation app then you need android support and then you can install "Here Wego", with the first Jolla it was an native application.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I am very satisfied with my Xperia X running SailfishX
                  Privacy impact non? check
                  Real admin of my own device? check
                  Terminal that lets me do what ever i want? check
                  The best is that it's a real linux distribution and i am free to do what ever crazy idea that pops up in my head.

I got no problems at all, the things i see is some people having problems with certain bluetooth devices but all my BT devices work.
                  I do think that there's lacking a bit information about the licensed software that you can install if you own a license, like what software it is and how to install it.
                  If you want word suggestions when typing then you need to install "Predictive text input" (jolla-xt9), but how should a user know that?
                  The store app search function isn't the best and sometimes it's better to list all apps instead of using the search function, it's like the store miss tags for apps.
                  I also feel that the store was better in the first Jolla device where all android apps had a little icon informing that it's not an native app, with store in SailfishX they all look the same and to check if it's native or android app i need to click on the apps description like a see more button and then scroll to the end where it type Sailfish-app or Android-app
                  If you want any navigation app then you need android support and then you can install "Here Wego", with the first Jolla it was an native application.
                  That's pretty much my take as well but I am pissed off at Jolla for not open-sourcing and not delivering on their harbour store.

I mean harbour has been out for years now and it's completely stagnant. I created two somewhat successful SailfishOS apps. Jolla needs (Ballmer style) DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS but the company is constantly shooting itself in the foot with stupid decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Because Android is essentialy spyware.
                    You know that there are several community-driven distributions of AOSP, don't you? You have heard of LineageOS, haven't you? Just to name one distribution that comes completely free of the "spyware" Google services.

I would also like to point out that, although Google is slowly but persistently closing down the Android ecosystem with their Play Services etc., using Android, even the one that comes with the phone (maybe not Samsung, but for example Google's own Nexus phones and Xperia phones), was always possible without even registering an account with Google, or sending any data out. It is a bit more work to install a caldav/carddav provider, but support for custom launchers, contacts, calendar etc. providers is built into Android.

Let me tell you, there is many more spyware-free Android users on this planet than SailfishOS users.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                      I don't think that's true - there is the modRana/Poor Maps + OSM Scout Server combo, that provides offline map rendering/routing and POI search with global coverage. All of that as native applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X