New Purism Developer To Begin Work On Tackling Responsive GTK+ Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Purism Developer To Begin Work On Tackling Responsive GTK+ Apps

Phoronix: New Purism Developer To Begin Work On Tackling Responsive GTK+ Apps

GNOME developer Adrien Plazas has joined Purism as part of their effort of getting GTK+ applications on the Librem 5 smart-phone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I can understand that it's always hard to adopt a new toolkit/framework, it's obvious that Qt and Plasma are miles ahead when it comes to mobile UI. Actually I'm quite disappointed that Purism invests the crowdfunding-money into reinventing the wheel again instead of just using Plasma mobile...

Comment

They also work with Plasma mobile I believe.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea - Android has supported this concept since Android 1.0 - allows people to ship one app that works everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Anyway, I think this is a great idea - Android has supported this concept since Android 1.0 - allows people to ship one app that works everywhere.
        Agreed. I don't know whether the GNOME developers would use it (they seem to seek out excuses to discard features they don't want to maintain), but responsive UI, a la CSS media queries, would enable GNOME on a desktop system with large screen, keyboard, and mouse to be much less objectionable to me.

Comment

It'd probably be a good idea to prototype this out of tree rather than trying to force it into the core.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            But they don't agree on Kirigami as unified framework for apps which is senseless fragmentation.

Comment

shouldn't they hire someone to work on gpu drivers for their smartphone?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                shouldn't they hire someone to work on gpu drivers for their smartphone?
                No, they went with Etnaviv exactly because it has good mainline support. Also the IMX8 that they are going to use it's not available yet.

Yeah Librem5! Bit overpriced but I still don't regret it

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                  No, they went with Etnaviv exactly because it has good mainline support.
                  etnaviv doesn't have good mainline support. intel and amd have good mainline support. on arm both vc4 and freedreno have better mainline support than etnaviv, so if aiming for mainline support you go exactly with not etnaviv. etnaviv is wip with low manpower, so i don't understand why they think apps are more important than driver which will show them
                  Originally posted by Cape View Post
                  Also the IMX8 that they are going to use it's not available yet.
                  this contradicts "has good mainline support", doesn't it?
                  Last edited by pal666; 26 January 2018, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X