Purism Begins Work On Unified Themes For Convergent PureOS Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Begins Work On Unified Themes For Convergent PureOS Devices

Phoronix: Purism Begins Work On Unified Themes For Convergent PureOS Devices

Last week Purism shared a progress update on the Librem 5 smartphone project where they outlined their plans to continue pursuing the i.MX8M SoC and other plans. They've kept up their word of delivering weekly status updates and out today is their latest summary of work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are they using Qt for the UI?

Comment

> Respects Human Effort by unifying the user experience, making convergent designs based on a “Mobile First” approach that favors efficiency and simplicity.

This is the reason why windows 8 UX was a failure. This is the reason why GNOME UX is a failure. Why repeat mistakes?

Comment

I don't care much about phones, but as I have said before a gazillion times a consistent STANDARD GUI should be a must for everybody.
        Everybody should follow the same design principles and use only standard widgets.
        If you want to customize your buttons, backgrounds, borders, titlebars, menus etc it should be done in a SYSTEM PREFERENCE application that absolutely is NOT AFFILIATED with the program you want to customize , but the toolkits (which should all look the same by the way).

The program author should write the program to follow standard layout and if (s)he feels to go nuts and provide a own styled theme it should be supplied separately and it should be selectable from the SYSTEM PREFERENCE applicaiton.

GUI customizations should be done on SYSTEM LEVEL and you should be able to do it per application. That would make things so much nicer. These days everybody writes their own "GUI" with their own (mostly) stupid design ideas and rules and not a single applicaiton looks or works the same anymore. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!????

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

These types of plans always fail because the creators are unable to get the average mainstream developer on board.

Cool technology doesn't work if developers don't know how to develop for it. That was the #1 problem with Ubuntu Touch (perhaps even Ubuntu in general) and it will be for this.

Of course I'd love for it to work out. The ElementaryOS guys can probably help with app development.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            I don't care much about phones, (...) WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!????
            Nobody could write a good enough GUI working on every device with a good enough license at a good (=free) price with a good enough user contribution policy with a good enough <insert any other reason>.

Comment

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!????
              I'm not seeing that so much in the Linux world, bulk of applications use a toolkit and have most theming options centralized already. On Windows it's indeed more common for everyone to go their own fucking way.

Comment

I don't care much about phones, but as I have said before a gazillion times a consistent STANDARD GUI should be a must for everybody.
                Everybody should follow the same design principles and use only standard widgets.
                If you want to customize your buttons, backgrounds, borders, titlebars, menus etc it should be done in a SYSTEM PREFERENCE application that absolutely is NOT AFFILIATED with the program you want to customize , but the toolkits (which should all look the same by the way).

The program author should write the program to follow standard layout and if (s)he feels to go nuts and provide a own styled theme it should be supplied separately and it should be selectable from the SYSTEM PREFERENCE applicaiton.

GUI customizations should be done on SYSTEM LEVEL and you should be able to do it per application. That would make things so much nicer. These days everybody writes their own "GUI" with their own (mostly) stupid design ideas and rules and not a single applicaiton looks or works the same anymore. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!????
                Standards: https://xkcd.com/927/

Different UI and UX are need based on the requirements that must be fulfilled. Design principles of airplane cockpits do not apply to driver seat of cars or the ordering menu for a pizza chain.

If everyone followed the same standards there would be innovation or evolution of UX/UI.

Comment

Not fussed what they end up doing on the mobile side as long as it's possible to throw gnome into gnome-classic style mode for laptop/desktop usage. I don't intend to ever use gnome-shell's garbage interface on a computer or phone. I assume this won't be able to drive my dual 30" monitor setup at home anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post

Standards: https://xkcd.com/927/

Different UI and UX are need based on the requirements that must be fulfilled. Design principles of airplane cockpits do not apply to driver seat of cars or the ordering menu for a pizza chain.

If everyone followed the same standards there would be innovation or evolution of UX/UI.
                    I believe the complaint being made is about the creeping growth of HTML-based (eg. Electron) UIs in "desktop" applications as developers start to just push their "The Windows 9x ecosystem loves our special snowflake, uniquely-skinned apps" mentality to new platforms.

Comment

Working...
                    X