Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Performance May Be Impacted By Linux KPTI Patches

Phoronix: Wine Performance May Be Impacted By Linux KPTI Patches

Besides VM performance and databases and heavy I/O taking a performance hit in the "Kernel Page Table Isolation" patches in the wake of the Spectre and Meltdown attack, it looks like Wine's performance may also be impaired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So in which kernel will it be disabled for AMD CPUs?

Comment

At least the 4.14.11 fedora users were upgraded to doesn't enable PTI on AMD CPUs (fortunately!)

Comment

ArchLinux also includes the AMD patch in the current 4.14.11 kernel.

Comment

Would you mind adding a FUSE test to your benchmarks? I wonder how it would be affected. Or maybe someone that knows more about its design could comment on that point?

Comment

Something people are not talking about is the impact on IoT devices. Not only performance, but security, since companies love to launch something on the market and forget about firmware updates.

Comment

Red Hat has a way to disable the security fixes to restore performance: https://access.redhat.com/articles/3311301
              This is not possible with the current debian kernel (at least the debugfs).

Comment

So If I have AMD CPU then even on patched kernel I not get worse performance?

Comment

> but that shouldn't matter for important workloads

Even if you believe games aren't important workloads, Wine is also used for regular applications.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                    So If I have AMD CPU then even on patched kernel I not get worse performance?
                    exactly: the meltdown fix is disabled for the AMD cpus because they are not affected

Comment

Working...
                    X