• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Cynacist
    Cynic.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    If it keeps going like this SteamOS will become its own OS only somewhat related to modern linux, like most embedded device firmwares, which still use ancient 2.6.something kernel and a bunch of hacked-together closed-source binaries from ages past.
    And this is already an issue, as there are quite a few games that don't work without some nudging and hacking when outside of the Steam bubble of old Ubuntu libraries.

Steam should invest hard on next generation package managers like flatpack (or even Snap, which I dislike but is still better than nothing) so they really can have a future on actual Linux.

That said, I'd still prefer a somewhat-embedded-like SteamOS than Windows, so whatever.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    You can't presume that if you bake a Pizza at 840 F that the Pizza will bake in 5:00 instead of 10:00 at 420 F.

A lot of people's disappointments are localized to their initial hopes that did not align with Valve's actual agenda and actions.

And it goes: In The Heart Of Every Cynacist Is A Disappointed Idealist.

Therefore, what people fail to realize is that SteamOS has been an ongoing expenditure and invetment by Valve, they have been investing in the graphics drivers and core foundation to this very day, we all know ValveTimeTM is its own thing, and regardless of what becomes of Steam Machines Linux already has 4,000+ games and a number that is always climbing so we may see new interest from Atari, Sega, etc...

The victory will be Organic Growth.

Just like The Direct X Box (Xbox 2000), Play Station 1, etc... it takes a while to get the kinks ironed out and Valve has done a excellent job "Breaking Down Barriers" in the words of Gabe Newell -- thus their investment and focus in making the machine function really well so it has Minimal effort for Developers to get things done and speed up Content Production.

I would now like to see 1H 2018 Valve's renewed commitment to Steam Machines in the form of E3 things to be excited about. Perhaps a AMD Ryzen VEGA Steam Machine, or a update about SteamOS developer tools @ GDC .

If you don't understand Steam and Valve's thinking -- please invest the 1 hour to watch these vblogs from last year the explains their thinking, goals and process to accomplish their goals.

Last edited by ElectricPrism; 05 January 2018, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    I think Valve's mistake was dropping all interest in developing games.
    They are in the unique position to support their own platform with great games. Nobody is stopping them from releasing games for SteamOS/linux only.
    SteamOS was began because the moves MS was making to marginalize Valves online business model. They took an approach of "if you build it they will come". But really seems they didn't "Go the distance" on the SteamOS experiment.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    The awkward moment when some silly security issues override valve time.

Leave a comment:

• b8e5n
    replied
    I would like to know also if they are working on rebasing steamos on a debian 9. For a while now, it feels like they gave up, but keep doing the strict minimum to keep steamos alive...

Leave a comment:

• onokun
    replied
    I wonder how long it will take to propagate to the stable brewmaster branch.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    I sincerely hope Valve continues investing in Linux and they manage to get Devs to support it also via Vulkan.
    If everyone gets on board, it'll be easier/cheaper to support multiple platforms.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Valve Ships Its First SteamOS Brewmaster Beta Of 2018

Valve Ships Its First SteamOS Brewmaster Beta Of 2018

Phoronix: Valve Ships Its First SteamOS Brewmaster Beta Of 2018

While SteamOS has felt like it's just been on life-support the past year, Valve is starting off 2018 by a fairly sizable SteamOS Brewmaster Beta update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X