Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Gaming Performance Minimally Impacted By KPTI Patches

Phoronix: NVIDIA Gaming Performance Minimally Impacted By KPTI Patches

Earlier this week when news was still emerging on the "Intel CPU bug" now known as Spectre and Meltdown I ran some Radeon gaming tests with the preliminary Linux kernel patches providing Kernel Page Table Isolation (KPTI) support. Contrary to the hysteria, the gaming performance was minimally impacted with those open-source Radeon driver tests while today are some tests using the latest NVIDIA driver paired with a KPTI-enabled kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll try harder to destroy Intel's CPU performance next time!

Comment

Michael, it seems your graphs completely mess up with the recommended security addition in Chrome:
      https://imgur.com/a/S6ZU5

This is the Site Isolation feature Google are suggesting people use, seems it screws your iframes.
      Last edited by liamdawe; 04 January 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

What should be tested is network latency of multiplayer games, and frame times/stuttering while games are loading levels on the fly (level streaming).

Comment

Couple of places that may hit gamers hard that would be nice if you could look into:

* Network latency via online gaming
          * Gaming performance on Steam-Link and/or Steam In-Home streaming.
          * VR performance

Comment

Games won't be affected by kpti, nor most home-user software. But it hurts where it counts, in professional applications. Database, server, multi-user, etc.

All those corporations that migrated to the cloud, they'll want their slices secure. And that's where it hurts.

Comment

I often game via a VM windows games, how will these be affected? 😃

Comment

Working...
              X