Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compholio
    replied
    It would be interesting to see what kind of difference there is in network performance (which would certainly impact multi-player games), since sockets require _tons_ of syscalls.

Leave a comment:

• Dedale
    replied
    Michael, your tests were mentioned in non linux computer press. That is some feat.

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Yeah. Anything older than Sandy Bridge does not support PCID, which according to the information makes the perf hit more severe. Sandy Bridge and newer are supposed to suffer less perf impact.

Would be interesting to see Westmere benches.
    PCID was introduced with Westmere. The INVPCID instruction was introduced with Haswell, but the KPTI/PCID patches work without it as well, and even with INVPCID it's mostly a wash compared to doing it without.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Misel View Post
    A check for older CPUs might also be interesting.
    Yeah. Anything older than Sandy Bridge does not support PCID, which according to the information makes the perf hit more severe. Sandy Bridge and newer are supposed to suffer less perf impact.

Would be interesting to see Westmere benches.

Leave a comment:

• Misel
    replied
    A check for older CPUs might also be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Also, were the tests CPU or GPU-bound? It would be normal that there's no perf difference if the GPU is the bottleneck instead of the CPU.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Did you test frame pacing stability? Because if the context switches aren't frequent enough to affect FPS, but still enough to affect frame pacing, then it would be a big issue.

Leave a comment:

• gentoofu
    replied
    Wouldn't an NVIDIA card inclusion be more interesting since they rely on software scheduling?

Leave a comment:

• NihilMomentum
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Frame rates are not affected. What about loading times?
    This, since it seems to affect I/O performance. Michael, please test this!

Leave a comment:

• SkOrPn
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    I was promised an APOCALYPSE! I want my money back!
    LOL, that is funny...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X