No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming Performance Doesn't Appear Affected By The x86 PTI Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, you may want to test this with a nvidia card as well, since I'm hearing they're more reliant on syscalls than AMD cards, which avoid that since gcn1.1. (Though since Steve at HUB didn't find much, this may be irrelevant.)
    Last edited by foppe; 04 January 2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compholio View Post
      It would be interesting to see what kind of difference there is in network performance (which would certainly impact multi-player games), since sockets require _tons_ of syscalls.
      Seconded! This should require more syscalls and TLB flushes than normal gaming after the game has loaded and is just running in an automated loop.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Seconded! This should require more syscalls and TLB flushes than normal gaming after the game has loaded and is just running in an automated loop.
        I already wrote about network in the article on Wednesday.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I already wrote about network in the article on Wednesday.
          I know I'm not a Premium member (at least for now), but could I suggest to perform tests on the Loading times? I mean... we all know the patch affects I/O. so... Pre/post loading times would be more helpful. Like: do games take more time to load using an HDD? (I have an SSD for the OS, but HDD for the games). What about startup times of the entire system?

These are the day to day basic tests that everyone should be looking at.

We all know that framerate was not affected that much, but I'm not always playing. There are other tasks you do daily, like constantly closing and opening apps, loading levels while gaming, starting up the system, waking up from hibernation, ¡¡¡¡compilation!!! (for those of us that code for a living). Was the linux kernel compilation time affected?

Thank you, Michael

Comment

Working...
          X