Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming Performance Doesn't Appear Affected By The x86 PTI Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Misel View Post
    A check for older CPUs might also be interesting.
    Yeah. Anything older than Sandy Bridge does not support PCID, which according to the information makes the perf hit more severe. Sandy Bridge and newer are supposed to suffer less perf impact.

    Would be interesting to see Westmere benches.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Yeah. Anything older than Sandy Bridge does not support PCID, which according to the information makes the perf hit more severe. Sandy Bridge and newer are supposed to suffer less perf impact.

      Would be interesting to see Westmere benches.
      PCID was introduced with Westmere. The INVPCID instruction was introduced with Haswell, but the KPTI/PCID patches work without it as well, and even with INVPCID it's mostly a wash compared to doing it without.

      Comment


      • #13
        Michael, your tests were mentioned in non linux computer press. That is some feat.

        Comment


        • #14
          It would be interesting to see what kind of difference there is in network performance (which would certainly impact multi-player games), since sockets require _tons_ of syscalls.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Compholio View Post
            It would be interesting to see what kind of difference there is in network performance (which would certainly impact multi-player games), since sockets require _tons_ of syscalls.
            Networking tests are already in the works for publishing shortly.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #16
              How does it affect gaming + CPU-heavy multitasking? Can we expect worse framerates (or periodic framerate drops) while streaming, recording, background rendering, running multiple game clients, hosting a game server in a VM, etc.?

              How about background tasks that are relatively lightweight, but still need to update in real time: voice chat, incoming streams, torrents, etc.?

              Comment


              • #17
                Michael You should be the first major review site to benchmark the impact on Virtualization tech. I suspect that the impact will be drastic for KVM / VirtualBox / Xen / Jailhouse / VMWare because the impact will be squared, or worse. ie if it's a 20% impact on the host and a 20% impact on the guest kernel too then the overall impact will be >40% on the app. PostgreSQL is going to get hammered in a KVM guest...

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post

                  Networking tests are already in the works for publishing shortly.
                  I suspect this'll vary by game. I'd suspect games with optimized and efficient netcode probably won't be impacted significantly. Games with a high tick-rate, though, or lots of big packets, those might have bigger issues.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Compholio View Post
                    It would be interesting to see what kind of difference there is in network performance (which would certainly impact multi-player games), since sockets require _tons_ of syscalls.
                    Networking and also file system access. I guess that it might impact game loading times a little.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Definitely need some tests while Gaming + Multitasking, as many people stream while gaming and this may affect performance severely. Another test that would be very interesting would be framerate while using SteamLink. I know myself and many other Linux gamers use Steam in-home streaming or SteamLink to game.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X