No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Ended 2017 With A Slight Increase In Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is not an increase of 0.16%, it is an increase of 0.16 percent-point OR about 50%. Just goes to show how unstable those numbers are.

Comment

Raw numbers along with the marketshare would be great.

Comment

Michael get your numbers right.
        A 0.16% increase would mean that we would have had about 0,4293% market share in November.

But we hat about 0,27% in November which would mean an increase of about 59% or 0.16 percentage points.

edit: Whoops carewolf beat me to it.

Comment

I hear PUGB has banned around 800,000 people due to cheating. Not only is this a significant amount of banned players, but the cheaters themselves probably turned people off from the game. There are probably more banned cheaters than there are people who made up for the increase of Linux users. Considering this game (as well as GTA 5 and other non-Linux titles) are consistently in the tops of Steam's top sales, it's no wonder why Linux's popularity is underwhelming. The only games people want to play now aren't available.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          I finally got the survey in Linux today for the first time since I rebuilt my home desktop..., in April... That's after signing in at least weekly for most if the year, and being signed in for a pretty good amount of time after each login.

I don't really know if there's truth to the survey being biased, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.
          I don't think the survey is biased (after all, this was Valve's idea - why would they want to prove to themselves that supporting Linux was a bad idea?) but it definitely doesn't have the right approach to it.

Comment

Me from November:

If Valve wanted accurate statistics, they would make the poll mandatory, and make sure that users actually get probed once a month. I haven't been asked in 4-6 months, and I switched my Steam computer to Linux 2 months ago.
            I still haven't been asked to take the poll since I switched platforms.

Comment

Over the holiday I became a Steam user on Linux. (using "steam-overlay" on Gentoo) My daughter and son-in-law are going to give me "Obduction" for Christmas. Sadly, it won't run Linux, at least not yet. But I wanted to give the points to Linux, so I signed up, installed, and bought "Haven Moon", which is available for Linux. I'll probably install Steam on the Windows side of the laptop later, and put Obduction on that. I just wanted the Linux to count as first registration. Maybe in the time it takes for all of this, Obduction will become available on Linux, because presumably they're doing the Linux/OSX Steam port.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                I finally got the survey in Linux today for the first time since I rebuilt my home desktop..., in April... That's after signing in at least weekly for most if the year, and being signed in for a pretty good amount of time after each login.

I don't really know if there's truth to the survey being biased, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.
                It is biased. I've been using Steam for Linux for a few years (!) now and never once did I get the survey.

Comment

I can confirm that PUBG prevents me from booting my Linux Mint disk!
                  Maybe Feral makes a Linux port?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I hear PUGB has banned around 800,000 people due to cheating. Not only is this a significant amount of banned players, but the cheaters themselves probably turned people off from the game. There are probably more banned cheaters than there are people who made up for the increase of Linux users. Considering this game (as well as GTA 5 and other non-Linux titles) are consistently in the tops of Steam's top sales, it's no wonder why Linux's popularity is underwhelming. The only games people want to play now aren't available.

I don't think the survey is biased (after all, this was Valve's idea - why would they want to prove to themselves that supporting Linux was a bad idea?) but it definitely doesn't have the right approach to it.
                    Actually, the number of PUBG players banned was much higher. 1.5 MILLION!

Gol noted it at the bottom of this post, along with the source of it (BattlEye): https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...or-linux.10975

It's crazy, that alone could account for the increase you might think and it's highly possible a large % of those were from the Asian market that rose for PUBG. Look at the charts GoL put up, it was due to a decrease as well, just look at those charts go :O

Comment

Working...
                    X