• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Steam 2017 Winter Sale Gets Underway

Steam 2017 Winter Sale Gets Underway

Phoronix: Steam 2017 Winter Sale Gets Underway

Valve has just started their annual Steam Winter Sale that runs through 4 January...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nter-Sale-2017

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

What a great game, works only with uhbuntu and nv gpus.
    The Nvidia R9 Fury you mean?

I get what you are saying though. Gaming experience on Linux can vary widely depending on what system one has and what distro one is using. That's not helping Linux gain any users. Perhaps Ikey's Linux Steam Integration Snap can help with these kinds of issues.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
    That huge Steam Link reduction reeks of a Steam Link 2.0 (4K?) planned for release in the near future.
    It reeks of the fact that they are not planning to profit much if at all from the Steam Link itself, but they are sure that it will help them sell more games (which is their core businness).

Having a Steam Link at 4k is nonsense, as to stream games at 4k you need a really badass gaming rig, AND an expensive TV, pretty much everyone into 4k gaming is not leaving his gaming rig and FreeSync/Gsync gaming monitor for a crappy TV.

Also most games that are targeted by the steam Link are console-like stuff you play on the couch with a controller and friends, which can't even go 2k on most cases.

And Steam Link hardware is very unremarkable, the device itself is pretty cheap. I doubt they paid more than 30$ apiece to the factory.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 12-22-2017, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pmorph
    replied
    Picked up Soma, The Talos Principle and HoI IV.

Leave a comment:

• alvez
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Played it a lot a few months ago on Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 and later Ubuntu 17.10 and it ran very well. I don't remember having any problems.
    It does run well in machines with sensibly configured distributions. But when you have a custom "I don't know what the hell I'm doing" kernel, problems are bound to occur.

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    They're never going to stop making StreamLink and supporting SteamOS, even if they are not massively popular.

On first sight, it might, it might not make that much sense given the miniature user base (See: the recent surge of users of (pirated) Windows 7 once PlayerUnknown Battleground hit China).

But steam *needs* that these exist as a against MIcrosoft toying with the idea of an exclusive Microsoft-only app store in Windows.

Leave a comment:

• SebastianP
    replied

It wouldn't make much sense then for them to get them onsuch a reduced sale for the second time in 3 months.

It looks like they are hurrying to sell all their stock, even at a loss. This would make sense only if they plan to release soon a better alternative for a similar price tag; that would reduce the potential sales of the original Steam link to almost 0.

Google did something similar with the original Chromecast just before anouncing the second, improved version
    I still hope they'll do. It's a decent device.

Leave a comment:

• ssorgatem
    replied
    Originally posted by SebastianP View Post

Or no Steam Link in the future at all
    That's what I guess.
    It wouldn't make much sense then for them to get them onsuch a reduced sale for the second time in 3 months.

It looks like they are hurrying to sell all their stock, even at a loss. This would make sense only if they plan to release soon a better alternative for a similar price tag; that would reduce the potential sales of the original Steam link to almost 0.

Google did something similar with the original Chromecast just before anouncing the second, improved version

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Hitman first episode is free, 9GB to download, buggy as hell and when the game starts it says that my distribution is not compatible.
    Played it a lot a few months ago on Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 and later Ubuntu 17.10 and it ran very well. I don't remember having any problems.

Leave a comment:

• SebastianP
    replied
    That huge Steam Link reduction reeks of a Steam Link 2.0 (4K?) planned for release in the near future.
    Or no Steam Link in the future at all
    That's what I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X