Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScummVM 2.0 Released To Relive Some Gaming Classics

Phoronix: ScummVM 2.0 Released To Relive Some Gaming Classics

ScummVM 2.0 has been released as a major update to this open-source game engine recreation project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Such a shame to see no comments on this article, but I suppose the sort of folks who are most interested in gaming FPS performance aren't really interested in retro adventure games. The King's Quest / Space Quest games were certainly a source of frustration to me as a child but I still remember them fondly. It is good to see that there is a community that still supports them.

Comment

Nice. I vaguely recall though that when some ScummVM-supported games got added to Steam, they were modified just enough to lose support. This is an awesome project that has added a massive game catalogue from back of golden age of gaming to native Linux games

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
        Such a shame to see no comments on this article, but I suppose the sort of folks who are most interested in gaming FPS performance aren't really interested in retro adventure games. The King's Quest / Space Quest games were certainly a source of frustration to me as a child but I still remember them fondly. It is good to see that there is a community that still supports them.
        It was late (for me) when this popped into my feed, so I just subscribed and went to bed. That said, now I'm awake enough to have a thought...

ScummVM really is a shining example of how to do an engine project properly. They hold themselves to high standards of quality, code reuse is the mantra, and they've managed to attract and/or solicit donation of original engine code (and sometimes, even data files) which they can modernize and integrate. (Not to mention, if you watch the changelogs, they clearly document when they're fixing bugs present in the original engines.)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Nice. I vaguely recall though that when some ScummVM-supported games got added to Steam, they were modified just enough to lose support. This is an awesome project that has added a massive game catalogue from back of golden age of gaming to native Linux games
          The Journeyman Project, for one. The GOG version is incompatible because the ScummVM patches used in the DVD re-release haven't been merged. (I can't remember what, specifically, was wrong with them though.)

Comment

Working...
          X