Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMW 0.43 Continues Advancing Open-Source Morrowind For Linux

Phoronix: OpenMW 0.43 Continues Advancing Open-Source Morrowind For Linux

OpenMW remains as the open-source game engine project re-implementing the code to power Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, the popular 2002 RPG game from Bethesda. OpenMW 0.43 is now available as the latest release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent! I didn't even know this project existed until seeing this article, thanks. Morrowind is still one of my all time favourites and I still replay it every couple of years or so. Looks like the next time I play it it will be in Linux.

Comment

Tried to play Morrowind a few weeks back, coudn't get into it.. it is just dated. There are simply better things to waste my time on nowadays.

Comment

You can install Morrowind with latest OpenMW engine on Linux by one click using Recultis:
        We are moving to GitLab! Return to the cult games. On Linux, with modern, open source engines.

Comment

Originally posted by makson View Post
          You can install Morrowind with latest OpenMW engine on Linux by one click using Recultis:
          https://makson96.github.io/Recultis/
          That's great, plus another project I've never come across before now. Thanks for the link, will be giving this a try for sure.

Comment

That is one of the most awesome projects ever.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Going to note that there's a flatpak package of OpenMW up on flathub now as well, so if you prefer your one-click installs in that manner then it's also a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                Going to note that there's a flatpak package of OpenMW up on flathub now as well, so if you prefer your one-click installs in that manner then it's also a possibility.
                Isn't Flatpak a container format? How does the engine access the game data files, if it is sealed into a container?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                  Isn't Flatpak a container format? How does the engine access the game data files, if it is sealed into a container?
                  To focus on ease-of-use, the current packaging skips sandboxing filesystem access for that purpose, though a possibility in the future could be to change to only allowing access to the explicitly specified data directories.
                  Of course, nothing's stopping you from manually removing that permission and tightening up the filesystem access, it's just not very user-friendly.

Comment

I'd love to see a project like this, built around some console-exclusive game, that never ran on PC. Imagine OpenBloodborne optimized for linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X