Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMW 0.43 Continues Advancing Open-Source Morrowind For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenMW 0.43 Continues Advancing Open-Source Morrowind For Linux

    Phoronix: OpenMW 0.43 Continues Advancing Open-Source Morrowind For Linux

    OpenMW remains as the open-source game engine project re-implementing the code to power Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, the popular 2002 RPG game from Bethesda. OpenMW 0.43 is now available as the latest release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-0.43-Released

  • #2
    Excellent! I didn't even know this project existed until seeing this article, thanks. Morrowind is still one of my all time favourites and I still replay it every couple of years or so. Looks like the next time I play it it will be in Linux.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tried to play Morrowind a few weeks back, coudn't get into it.. it is just dated. There are simply better things to waste my time on nowadays.

      Comment


      • #4
        You can install Morrowind with latest OpenMW engine on Linux by one click using Recultis:
        https://makson96.github.io/Recultis/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by makson View Post
          You can install Morrowind with latest OpenMW engine on Linux by one click using Recultis:
          https://makson96.github.io/Recultis/
          That's great, plus another project I've never come across before now. Thanks for the link, will be giving this a try for sure.

          Comment


          • #6
            That is one of the most awesome projects ever.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

            Comment


            • #7
              Going to note that there's a flatpak package of OpenMW up on flathub now as well, so if you prefer your one-click installs in that manner then it's also a possibility.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                Going to note that there's a flatpak package of OpenMW up on flathub now as well, so if you prefer your one-click installs in that manner then it's also a possibility.
                Isn't Flatpak a container format? How does the engine access the game data files, if it is sealed into a container?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                  Isn't Flatpak a container format? How does the engine access the game data files, if it is sealed into a container?
                  To focus on ease-of-use, the current packaging skips sandboxing filesystem access for that purpose, though a possibility in the future could be to change to only allowing access to the explicitly specified data directories.
                  Of course, nothing's stopping you from manually removing that permission and tightening up the filesystem access, it's just not very user-friendly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd love to see a project like this, built around some console-exclusive game, that never ran on PC. Imagine OpenBloodborne optimized for linux.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X