Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeCS: Aiming For An Open-Source Counter-Strike Implementation

Phoronix: FreeCS: Aiming For An Open-Source Counter-Strike Implementation

The latest open-source game project working on an open-source engine re-implementation of a popular game is FreeCS that is aiming to be a free software re-implementation of Counter-Strike...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The reason he implemented CS 1.5 and not 1.6 is so that you don't need to own a copy, since 1.5 was free. There will be a few props and textures missing if you don't have the half-life assets.

Comment

This is really cool. I stopped playing CS entirely once Valve added the invasive DRM (known as Steam).
      I also like that the author has decided to explicitly target 1.5 and focus on making that complete/perfect rather than constantly playing catchup and breaking existing features.

It is about time something interesting came out on news sites

Comment

Nice project, cs1.5 was the version I started with
        I read the installation guide but do not really get it. Where do I get this csv15.exe from? I thought this is a native linux thing.

Comment

Download here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/counter-st...nter-strike-15
          Start with WINE to unpack, copy files afterwards into FreeCS.

Don't forget to get FTEQW binaries from here: http://triptohell.info/moodles/

Nice is also the XMPP plugin to have a friends list etc.

For other cool features of FTEQW see the wiki: https://quakewiki.org/wiki/FTEQW_Wiki

Comment

Why not implement something with the Quake engine and make it compatible with CS maps?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              Why not implement something with the Quake engine and make it compatible with CS maps?
              looks like that's what he's doing "Free-software implementation of Counter-Strike running on the FTE QuakeWorld engine."
              Thanks ID software to open source the quake 1, 2 and 3 engines

Comment

It had to be said. A brave GNU generation. It is about time.
                Wrong topic
                Last edited by Razmattaz; 10 November 2017, 07:10 PM. Reason: Reading in 2 different tabs. My bad. Was meant for the GNU time post.

Comment

Isn't it ironic CS: Source lacks source?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                    Why not use Unreal Engine and just try to copy every other aspect of the game (besides graphics) as accurately as possible..
                    It would not look like from 1970s..

Comment

Working...
                    X