No announcement yet.

FreeCS: Aiming For An Open-Source Counter-Strike Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It needs to run hundreds of maps contributed by users over the years.

Comment

I do not have nostalgic recollections to CS 1.6, I would be more excited if they targeted CS: Source. I think ATM it's the best Counter Strike — I consider CS: Global Offensive to be a serious step back. CS:GO have made it much harder to choose bots, there were lots of different problems due to this aspect. I don't remember details, but at the very least CS:S allowed to choose bots with their parameters straight from the menu, and those options have persisted through every new map. Also, adding a downloaded map in CS:S was as simple as putting it to some directory, whilst in CS:GO it become absolutely cumbersome. Also subjectively, CS: S has somehow better looking physics, plus I expected CS: GO to finally have exploding walls, sparks, realistic hydro explosions — nothing of that did I find. You can imagine how I was disappointed. I don't even understand the point of this release if they made every single aspect of CS worse; and even more frustrating is the question: why people are playing CS: GO instead of CS: Source?

Ok, not entirely on-topic, I just wanted to talk it through :Ь
      Last edited by Hi-Angel; 12 November 2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        It needs to run hundreds of maps contributed by users over the years.
        Port official ones/very best of the custom ones and let community do the rest. Unreal Tournament modern "re-spin" (https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/) could serve as an example. Many of those "hundreds of maps" were mediocre quality or even junk.

Comment

But why? just so it's too slow or incompatible on old PCs? The quake version should run at 60 fps on 2004 Intel graphics. Or quad core Atom and dual C-60 laptops. Or heck, Raspberry Pi 1. Back in the day we could go to a lan party with a 400MHz CPU...
          Steam refuzniks don't necessarily have gaming hardware. Q3, CS, UT, ages of empires all ran on low end garbage. SNES emulator was more demanding.
          Last edited by grok; 12 November 2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

But why? just so it's too slow or incompatible on old PCs? The quake version should run at 60 fps on 2004 Intel graphics. Or quad core Atom and dual C-60 laptops. Or heck, Raspberry Pi 1. Back in the day we could go to a lan party with a 400MHz CPU...
            Steam refuzniks don't necessarily have gaming hardware. Q3, CS, UT, ages of empires all ran on low end garbage. SNES emulator was more demanding.
            Decently performing hardware (couple of generation old) has become rather cheap these days. I could put together 6C/12T medium level gaming system using just 300-400USD for it.
            If people are able to buy and sell textures inside CSGO (literal waste of money, if you asked me), one can make conclusions that player base has necessary money and it's thus pseudo-problem.

Comment

But you can edit video etc. on a "slow" 2C/2T. It just can't play some stupid game. It's 400 USD for one game I can play at my desk and my friends can't run. I might buy a Nintendo Switch with Doom 4 and a splitscreen/same screen multiplayer game for that money.
              Anyway FreeCS is a port of an old game, it doesn't need a nasa computer. The quake engine used has Android and web versions ffs

Last edited by grok; 12 November 2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

But you can edit video etc. on a "slow" 2C/2T. It just can't play some stupid game. It's 400 USD for one game I can play at my desk and my friends can't run. I might buy a Nintendo Switch with Doom 4 and a splitscreen/same screen multiplayer game for th
                Nobody really wants to edit video on 2C/2T. Unless yo do it once a month or even less often.
                You could play "some stupid game" using it's original version or play CS:S which does not take much of a machine either but looks hell of a lot nicer than original CS does. CS:S runs fine on Haswell Pentium FYI (I have retail CS:S 7-cd copy)
                Last edited by aht0; 12 November 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Why not use Unreal Engine and just try to copy every other aspect of the game (besides graphics) as accurately as possible..
                  It would not look like from 1970s..
                  Yes.
                  I didn't say that because it would be more work, but... it would be even better...

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post

looks like that's what he's doing "Free-software implementation of Counter-Strike running on the FTE QuakeWorld engine."
                    Thanks ID software to open source the quake 1, 2 and 3 engines
                    Great!
                    That by itself already brings advantages over the original.

Comment

Probably best version (1.5) to choose.

I also like 1.3 a lot because when you run and jump in 1.5 then you will be slowed when landing (yes more realistic) but 1.3 was more like Quake, you could run and jump without slowing down

Comment

Working...
                      X