Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE Provides More Steam VR Linux Gaming Fun

Phoronix: Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE Provides More Steam VR Linux Gaming Fun

On Thursday Croteam released Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE as the newest SteamVR title for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another Vulkan exclusive?

Comment

I know the game is continually being updated so technically its new, but the price is too high. Their player base is shrinking. On a side note the game is running fantastic in my 270x. The changes they made a few months ago made a difference in opengl.

Comment

It's VR, the price tag makes sense.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

If you have the other VR games already, the bundle is much cheaper. Got it for 14,79€. Even though the Serious Engine does not run too well with radv on the RX 480. For example The Talos Principle VR version is only really smooth if you set up supersampling to 0.6 in the steamvr settings (the game segfaults when trying to change graphics settings ingame), but with such a low resolution it really looks bad...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            It's VR, the price tag makes sense.
            Which also explains the comment by a Valve developer about VR being a bigger market than Linux.
            The VR tag allows to sell techdemos at a higher price again.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Which also explains the comment by a Valve developer about VR being a bigger market than Linux.
              Maybe bigger but still very small.

For a moment, Croteam was even considering canceling Sam 3 VR due to how financially unprofitable VR has been for us opportunity cost wise. But decided to finish it and release it anyways, with what little resources we can afford to. So look forward to it. It's funny how people often complain about VR prices, while in reality VR games are most often basically gifts to the VR community regardless of how expensive they are priced."

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

That's obvious, there are only a few AAA VR games so if you spent lots of money on the VR headset you're probably willing to spend a couple of bucks for games.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

That's obvious, there are only a few AAA VR games so if you spent lots of money on the VR headset you're probably willing to spend a couple of bucks for games.
                  I'm disappointed in the lackluster experience the currently available VR titles provide. They're either boring shooting galleries, or VR conversions of shooters intended to be played with mouse and keyboard, and those to me are a chore to play. Croteam's titles are among them. I bought a few of them, but am now disappointed that I paid a premium for worse gameplay experience (Graphics are great though).

Comment

Working...
                  X