Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane Reports 1.4% Of Their Customers Are Linux Users

Phoronix: X-Plane Reports 1.4% Of Their Customers Are Linux Users

For those wanting more usage statistics about Linux, the X-Plane flight simulator reports 1.4% of their users are currently running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

An only serious Linux desktop distribution messed up recently. It's not surprising Steam and non steam Linux desktop usage dropped after abandoning Unity. However, moving to Wayland and flatpak (I hope) should bring huge benefits in the future. It will be much easier for third party companies to support Linux with flatpak. As for now Canonical should focus on making Gnome more user friendly and stable, unbloat the kernel (ridiculous debugging options turned on, 250Hz timer, deadline disk scheduler etc.). Ps. Canonical shouldn't switch to Gnome 3 yet imo. They should wait at least for another release and.. they should do this more quietly, so people wouldn't ever notice. Imagine Kubuntu switching from KDE to xfce or some other DE. It will be shocking for Kubuntu users and most of them would probably drop it for good. Canonical sucks at PR.
    Last edited by Guest; 08 November 2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

If they wouldn't use OpenGL compat profile for that game, usage would be higher because Mesa users can't play this.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
        If they wouldn't use OpenGL compat profile for that game, usage would be higher because Mesa users can't play this.
        It does run with Mesa for me (at least with AMDGPU/RadeonSI).

Try this: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Games_broken_on_Mesa

There is an environment variable you must set to get clouds and tutorials running but I don't remember it. I will post it when I'm back home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          An only serious Linux desktop distribution messed up recently. It's not surprising Steam and non steam Linux desktop usage dropped after abandoning Unity. However, moving to Wayland and flatpak (I hope) should bring huge benefits in the future. It will be much easier for third party companies to support Linux with flatpak. As for now Canonical should focus on making Gnome more user friendly and stable, unbloat the kernel (ridiculous debugging options turned on, 250Hz timer, deadline disk scheduler etc.). Ps. Canonical shouldn't switch to Gnome 3 yet imo. They should wait at least for another release and.. they should do this more quietly, so people wouldn't ever notice. Imagine Kubuntu switching from KDE to xfce or some other DE. It will be shocking for Kubuntu users and most of them would probably drop it for good. Canonical sucks at PR.
          So the 1% is mainstream users already and their reason to use Linux is a certain desktop environment? You forgot the troll tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
            They sort of have to since a quarter of their userbase and one of the main developers uses Macs...
            Last edited by mlau; 08 November 2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Ubuntu switching back to gnome isn't much a problem. the experience is close enough atm and by the time 18.04 lts rolls around it will be much better.

not having to develop an DE frees them up to polish the experience

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post

It does run with Mesa for me (at least with AMDGPU/RadeonSI).

Try this: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Games_broken_on_Mesa

There is an environment variable you must set to get clouds and tutorials running but I don't remember it. I will post it when I'm back home.
                I'm on Nvidia

​​​

Comment

Speaking of x-plane on linux, is there a workaround to make the Saitek rudder pedals work? X-plane does not recognize them for me (I asked about and looked for a fix, filled a ticket with Laminiar too). The strange thing is that FlightGear recognizes them without a problem, so I'm thinking it's not a hardware issue with the pedals (hopefully). Anywho, I'm using the latest Mint and X-P 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

So the 1% is mainstream users already and their reason to use Linux is a certain desktop environment? You forgot the troll tags.
                    Yes, indeed! Most of the desktop Linux users were Ubuntu users, so Ubuntu f*cking up their experience must pissed them off. It's such simple. If DE experience doesn't matter Ubuntu won't be so popular in the past. Ps. your comment seems to be ignoring common sense. What do you mean by 1% mainstream users? It seems you forgot 'I've no idea' tag.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08 November 2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X