F1 2017 On Linux With 23 Graphics Cards, NVIDIA + AMDGPU-PRO + RADV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2017 On Linux With 23 Graphics Cards, NVIDIA + AMDGPU-PRO + RADV

Phoronix: F1 2017 On Linux With 23 Graphics Cards, NVIDIA + AMDGPU-PRO + RADV

Following various F1 2017 Linux gaming benchmarks over the past few days since this game's Linux release this past Thursday with a port to Vulkan, here is a 23-way graphics card comparison for this formula one racing game while having coverage of the NVIDIA, AMDGPU-PRO, and RADV Vulkan drivers atop Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    All of these F1 2017 Linux gaming bewnchmarks were done from the same
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    FPS average frame-rate in these conditiions.
    Also, are 2 cards faulty? I see 25 on your table...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typos:

Also, are 2 cards faulty? I see 25 on your table...
      Thanks.

Let me check the table, but the number is likely just different than 23 due to the reporting of the graphics cards for differences between RADV and AMDGPU-PRO reporting.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Feral did a good job with this port. Vega looks like needs some more attention but it's a new architecture so it's normal.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Typos:
          Another: The RX 560 and R9 285 are the cars on the AMD side sticking above that important number.

Comment

Great, I think it was a good decision of Feral to go Vulkan only!

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
              Feral did a good job with this port. Vega looks like needs some more attention but it's a new architecture so it's normal.
              I think the huge page support (if I got that name right) is going to be a major boost for vega.

Still - good playable numbers, though I am hoping the difference between 56 and 64 becomes bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                bridgman why the hell did amd promote inferior amdgpu-pro closed source vulkan instead of promoting RADV like ROCm to be the standard in the AMDGPU-pro driver to ?

no one want this inferior amdgpu-pro closed source vulkan implementation anymore so please drop it. and just put RADV in the AMDGPU-pro driver instead.
                Apparently AMDs optimization work on the cross platform Vulkan driver has been focused around windows. Which is why their Vulkan driver is so fast on windows. Hopefully once they optimize more for Linux it will become as fast here too...

Comment

So, never really done any gaming on Linux. But, I have a Ryzen 1700 + GTX 950.. Should be able to do SOMETHING right? What setup do I need (I just have plain Slackware + nvidia binary blob - do I need anything else?)? Is there a demo for this? IIRC, Dirt Rally is also Linux compatible, right? I own that one, so I guess a similar question..

Comment

Originally posted by vw_fan17 View Post
                    So, never really done any gaming on Linux. But, I have a Ryzen 1700 + GTX 950.. Should be able to do SOMETHING right? What setup do I need (I just have plain Slackware + nvidia binary blob - do I need anything else?)? Is there a demo for this? IIRC, Dirt Rally is also Linux compatible, right? I own that one, so I guess a similar question..
                    I used to play War Thunder with a GTX 950 on Linux pretty regularly. Mixture of medium/high settings IIRC, certainly did 1080p60 easily. It certainly helps that it has a native Linux client though. Used to run my LAN party PC as Linux only until the group I generally played with shifted to mostly Overwatch and PUBG. Used to play a lot of War Thuder and CS:GO on it. CS:GO on Linux is a little funky, the framerate swings wildly (200-300 fps) and v-sync is really broke. Since CS:Go at maximum settings runs at like 200 fps on a 950, I would use the game's console to set a framerate cap at like 180 to make it work better.

Comment

Working...
                    X