Feral Announces F1 2017 Linux System Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Xwayland sucks, that's why I'm still using Xorg instead of Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 with Haswell. And GBM doesn't matter without Wayland.
    Have fun when some malware comes along sniffing your inputs and stealing your passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Have fun when some malware comes along sniffing your inputs and stealing your passwords.
      That's very dangerous, indeed, happened to me zero times in 10 years of using Linux.

Comment

Xwayland sucks, that's why I'm still using Xorg instead of Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 with Haswell. And GBM doesn't matter without Wayland.
        If you say so. I've been running 17.10 with gnome on wayland, and it has been working fairly well for me. Most days I forget that I'm not running on X.org anymore, other than the fact that I don't have periodic gnome shell crashes anymore. Also running a mobile haswell here.

Comment

ScareTacticâ„¢ For when you ran out of arguments.

Comment

That's very dangerous, indeed, happened to me zero times in 10 years of using Linux.
            How can you be so sure? Truth is, you don't know. It's not like malware has to ask for your permission to snoop, unless you were using Wayland of course.

Imagine if Windows 10 had the same flaw. With it's desktop market share and poor image in regards of security, people would be bashing it like crazy for it, especially some elitist Linux users of course.
            Last edited by Brisse; 01 November 2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

How can you be so sure?
              Take a wild guess, Sherlock.

Comment

Problem with vulkan on linux is that it doesn't support dual graphics solutions(optimus,hybrid ) on mobile laptops seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                  tbh I still expect it to be noticably slower than on Windows. Just not as slow as it would be with OpenGL, especially on old CPUs.

I mean, just look at the state of Dx12 on Windows. There are a couple of games wher it works quite well (such as Hitman or Rise of the Tomb Raider), but most games run significantly worse than on Dx11 and some are straight up unplayable, even though they have native support. Expecting any D3D11-to-Vulkan ports to run better than their native Dx11 version is unreasonable when engine developers can't even get their native Dx12 renderers to work properly.
                  Makes me really wish they had just gone with Vulkan on Windows and dropped DirectX altogether

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Good news. Thanks Feral for not being Bethesda.
                    Unfortunately they are still tweaking things for the final build and thus for benchmarking, don't have any build to use yet..... so looks like all the benchmarks will be today post-launch.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Makes me really wish they had just gone with Vulkan on Windows and dropped DirectX altogether
                      The reason DirectX continues to be used is it has much better support tools, especially in MSVC (which ALL development is done in). No ones bothered to make comparable tools for Vulkan yet.

At the end of the day, Devs are going to pick the cheaper/faster option for development. DirectX has top notch toolchain, Vulkan doesn't. Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                      X