Feral Announces F1 2017 Linux System Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes I've been able to confirm that it should work for pre-VI, but officially only support VI as they don't want to be responsible for users tinkering with their kernel config, etc. Will test on launch day.
    Why did aejsmith not provide you with a copy of the game before the launch day?

aejsmith Why can't you just provide Michael with a copy of the game right now so that we can get benchmarks immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by aejsmith View Post

The specs at least in terms of supported GPUs are based on where we need to be to even have Vulkan support.
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I doubt that very much. I get that pre-600 series don't have Vulkan support, but a 660Ti does
      It will be interesting to see once numbers come out. From past ports, we know that the Linux version usually performs worse, requiring better hardware, especially when the port is an after thought and not done in tandem with the games development. I think though that Feral is being conservative as well with there minimum specs and wonder if a 660 Ti might just get the job done, if paired with a decent CPU.

We will just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        That's why I'm buying a Nvidia card in 2 days. I don't need to worry about switching drivers, the nvidia drivers are supported by any game.
        Have fun with the only vendor that doesn't support GBM and Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
          and could potentially mean this game is faster on Linux than on Windows!
          tbh I still expect it to be noticably slower than on Windows. Just not as slow as it would be with OpenGL, especially on old CPUs.

I mean, just look at the state of Dx12 on Windows. There are a couple of games wher it works quite well (such as Hitman or Rise of the Tomb Raider), but most games run significantly worse than on Dx11 and some are straight up unplayable, even though they have native support. Expecting any D3D11-to-Vulkan ports to run better than their native Dx11 version is unreasonable when engine developers can't even get their native Dx12 renderers to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

Why did aejsmith not provide you with a copy of the game before the launch day?

aejsmith Why can't you just provide Michael with a copy of the game right now so that we can get benchmarks immediately?
            I should hopefully be getting access today for being able to provide launch-day benchmarks, they are still finishing things up.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I should hopefully be getting access today for being able to provide launch-day benchmarks, they are still finishing things up.
              Good news. Thanks Feral for not being Bethesda.

Comment

Great, thanks Michael . And thanks aejsmith .

Can not wait for the benchmarks, this will be a totally unprecedented situation, a game launching on Linux just two months after it's Windows/PS4/XboxOne release and coming with Vulkan support, a landmark really.

Let's just hope for the best. A bit unfortunate that it is still a port though apparently. But let's see if it can match the D3D11 performance, which would be nice. Really makes you wonder why Codemasters went with Direct3D though, when aejsmith can get it up and running with Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

Great, thanks Michael . And thanks aejsmith .

Can not wait for the benchmarks, this will be a totally unprecedented situation, a game launching on Linux just two months after it's Windows/PS4/XboxOne release and coming with Vulkan support, a landmark really.

Let's just hope for the best. A bit unfortunate that it is still a port though apparently. But let's see if it can match the D3D11 performance, which would be nice. Really makes you wonder why Codemasters went with Direct3D though, when aejsmith can get it up and running with Vulkan.
                  Wth, is reading impairment a virtue these days? This thing has higher system requirements then its Windows counterpart and still you expect it to perform better?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Wth, is reading impairment a virtue these days? This thing has higher system requirements then its Windows counterpart and still you expect it to perform better?
                    Yes, I hope so. We need Linux to be better than Windows for it to succeed as a gaming OS. If not better, it needs to be at least equal in performance, otherwise there probably will never be a breakthrough in Linux gaming. Why should people make the switch, if performance is worse? Linux can not be the second-class-citizen if it wants to succeed in this department.

Just imagine how cool it would be if F1 2017 had better performance on Linux than on Windows?

A lot of people would probably boot into Linux to play the game then, and simulators will run Linux instead of Windows and so on.

That being said though: F1 2017 probably is not a game for casual gamers, so Feral would need to follow-up with lots of other games to make all of this interesting. But having a modern game launch just two months after the Windows/console release is quite exciting. And it having Vulkan support even more so.

So, let's keep the fingers crossed the performance will be better than on Windows or at least fully on par. That would be a big success.

And if you are a Linux fan, then you better keep your fingers crossed as well, instead of being negative.

Tomorrow could be potentially huge. I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post

Have fun with the only vendor that doesn't support GBM and Xwayland.
                      Xwayland sucks, that's why I'm still using Xorg instead of Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 with Haswell. And GBM doesn't matter without Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X