Valve's Steam Link Is Back On Sale For $15 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toojays View Post
    Streaming from Linux it's pretty poor. I reckon the difference is that on Windows the video encoding is using the hardware encoder on my RX480, while on Linux it's not. In order to encode frames quickly enough with the software encoder and still have CPU cycles left to run the game, the encoder quality is sacrificed.
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    EDIT: yeah, all on windows, never even tried on Linux.
    I have a Steam Link and only used it with Linux. I only run it in 720p over wi-fi but I have had no issues regarding slow encoding. I do have a R5 1600 though so my CPU is rather beefy in comparison with my 750ti.

Comment

What codec is used to transfer video to SteamLink?

It must be quite fast to encode image at realtime (plus, game engine requires lots if resources too) , and it probably should produce quite low bitrate to not consume whole bandwidth of home network (100Mbps, but home grade devices usually not reach full paper potential nicely).

Comment

Originally posted by toojays View Post

I've found the Steam Link visuals to be quite good . . . but only if I'm streaming from Windows. Streaming from Linux it's pretty poor. I reckon the difference is that on Windows the video encoding is using the hardware encoder on my RX480, while on Linux it's not. In order to encode frames quickly enough with the software encoder and still have CPU cycles left to run the game, the encoder quality is sacrificed.
        The box I'm streaming from is a Windows machine. I'll poke around with settings to see if there's anything on that end which might help things.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
          What codec is used to transfer video to SteamLink?

It must be quite fast to encode image at realtime (plus, game engine requires lots if resources too) , and it probably should produce quite low bitrate to not consume whole bandwidth of home network (100Mbps, but home grade devices usually not reach full paper potential nicely).
          Modern cards from both AMD and NVIDIA have an encoder subsystem whose main selling point is being able to stream while gaming (also because people stream their games on youtube/twitch/whatever).

Also most traffic on home network is to/from Internet, so unless the guy has 50+Mbit internet is mostly free.

People that have NAS and other stuff (and use them seriously) have already invested the whopping 30$ to get a gigabit 8-port switch to upgrade their home network to the 21st century speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Modern cards from both AMD and NVIDIA have an encoder subsystem whose main selling point is being able to stream while gaming (also because people stream their games on youtube/twitch/whatever).

Also most traffic on home network is to/from Internet, so unless the guy has 50+Mbit internet is mostly free.

People that have NAS and other stuff (and use them seriously) have already invested the whopping 30$ to get a gigabit 8-port switch to upgrade their home network to the 21st century speeds.
            Still, you haven't answered the question I have asked.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
              Still, you haven't answered the question I have asked.​​​​​
              Probably H.264, as that's the one being accelerated by the VCE and NVENC hardware in GPUs.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix

The Marvell Armada SoC inside the Steam Link is a decent mediacenter system so it has hardware decode acceleration for more or less anything apart from H.265 https://www.anandtech.com/show/5296/...-armada-1500/2

So it's not using h.265 for sure.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 31 October 2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it's H.264. See https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/4890 for some example log messages identifying the encode method on both Windows and Linux.

Comment

Will this work using a US Robotics Courier? It's the v.34 version, 28.8k, so it's fairly beefy.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Will this work using a US Robotics Courier? It's the v.34 version, 28.8k, so it's fairly beefy.
                    I'm unsure of what you are asking here.

Steam Link receives streams in the LAN and has a 100Mbit port itself, I don't think a modem is relevant for it as it does not stream over the internet (the Steam Link anyway).

Comment

Working...
                    X