Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.18 Released With Volumetric Lightmaps, New Audio Engine On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.18 Released With Volumetric Lightmaps, New Audio Engine On Linux

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.18 Released With Volumetric Lightmaps, New Audio Engine On Linux

Epic Games has today released Unreal Engine 4.18 as the newest version of their cross-platform game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hoping "New Audio Engine On Linux" also mean good support for ALSA, Pulse and maybe Jack
    Last edited by danieru; 24 October 2017, 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Ive been playing with a couple of the 4.18 Preview releases, specifically trying to get the VSCode support working.

Unfortunately in the preview releases, VSCode support was broken:
      Hi everyone, as I read the release notes for 4.18 I was excited about the possibility to have support for VSCode. Unfortunately I can’t generate the project files. What I did so far is: I created a new c++ basic code test project I switches the preferred IDE to VSCode in editor settings Right click on UProject shows only the old generate VS project files (would expect VSCode project files) The log shows me a command line where the “-vscode” switch isn’t active. Grabbed the command line in t...

In fact, in all of the 4.18 builds I tried, the VSCode support was worse than in 4.17.

I havent tried the final 4.18 release, I hope they fixed it in time, given that it was advertised in all of their pre-release material.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
        Ive been playing with a couple of the 4.18 Preview releases, specifically trying to get the VSCode support working.

Unfortunately in the preview releases, VSCode support was broken:
        Hi everyone, as I read the release notes for 4.18 I was excited about the possibility to have support for VSCode. Unfortunately I can’t generate the project files. What I did so far is: I created a new c++ basic code test project I switches the preferred IDE to VSCode in editor settings Right click on UProject shows only the old generate VS project files (would expect VSCode project files) The log shows me a command line where the “-vscode” switch isn’t active. Grabbed the command line in t...

In fact, in all of the 4.18 builds I tried, the VSCode support was worse than in 4.17.

I havent tried the final 4.18 release, I hope they fixed it in time, given that it was advertised in all of their pre-release material.
        Thanks for sharing your experience - mind letting us know how your 4.18 final experiments go?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          Thanks for sharing your experience - mind letting us know how your 4.18 final experiments go?
          So, I just realized that even though I was doing git pull from the 4.18 repository every couple of days, and recompiling the Engine regularly, I had inadvertently stumbled into a git lock, where the files were not being modified whenever I did a git pull.
          https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...using-git-pull

So unbeknownst to me, I was using old pre-release code from October 7th, not the newer preview from the 20th that I thought I was using.

I've just (correctly) updated to the 4.18.1 release code, and recompiling now. I will report back my VSCode experience.
          Last edited by flubba86; 25 October 2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
            So, I just realized that even though I was doing git pull from the 4.18 repository every couple of days, and recompiling the Engine regularly, I had inadvertently stumbled into a git lock, where the files were not being modified whenever I did a git pull.
            https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...using-git-pull

So unbeknownst to me, I was using old pre-release code from October 7th, not the newer preview from the 20th that I thought I was using.

I've just (correctly) updated to the 4.18.1 release code, and recompiling now. I will report back my VSCode experience.
            I am glad you found the source of your problem - I am still keen on knowing how it all goes too

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I am glad you found the source of your problem - I am still keen on knowing how it all goes too
              All good! UE 4.18.1 works great with VSCode. You just need the official microsoft CPP support plugin in VSCode, and UE generates all of the indexing data for that plugin to use.

I can't compare it to the traditional UE4 <---> Visual Studio CPP workflow that so many know and love, because I don't have a windows machine and I haven't used Visual Studio since 2010. But without the context of the quality of the workflow wisth VS, the VSCode support is really good to me.

Comment

aejsmith How about you bring some UE4 Vulkan games to Linux so that Michael can do even more benchmarks ?

Comment

Working...
                X