No announcement yet.

Observer Is Aspyr Media's Latest Linux Game Release, No Radeon GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspyr is fucking worthless. I bought one game ported by them and I won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      but if doesn't work with my GPU there's no point in getting it just yet.
      Civ6 also officially do not support Intel and AMD, but it actually works perfectly.

Comment

I've just tested it on Mesa 17.2.2 with my RX480 and it works flawless so they have probably only tested it on the closed drivers (or with older Mesa).

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          It's the same sad old story like with Feral Interactive and "40.000: Dawn of War 3".

Instead of fixing those problems the studios just deliver poor excuses. Truly sad.
          It's the same sad old story like with Feral Interactive and "40.000: Dawn of War 3".

Instead of understanding the posts where the devs explained that such thing is not possible because of sound technical reasons (mostly due to the fact that it was never designed to be ported in the first place), random morons on the internet flame them. Truly sad.

Comment

It might be that it it isn't officially supported because it doesn't work with the versions of mesa being shipped by a lot of the current crop of fixed-released distributions. If you're a Linux user you should be used to doing your own research and seeing if it works on your setup. If you're not prepared to do that maybe you should be on Windows.

We've got a confirmation in this thread that it works on mesa on a 480 in this thread, that's good enough for me. I don't care if it's officially supported on that setup, just as long as it works. Ferel have had releases where they haven't listed support for, but have worked to implement support for, mesa. I'm ok with this, it's not like they've got infinite resources, and if having to use community resources rather than company resources is what it takes to make Linux releases viable then fine.

If I've got a problem with a game, my first port-of-call is the Arch wiki and forums, not the devs website. That's how it should be on Linux IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
              I've just tested it on Mesa 17.2.2 with my RX480 and it works flawless so they have probably only tested it on the closed drivers (or with older Mesa).
              Thanks, that's good to know.

For some of the earlier ports Mesa lacked certain OpenGL extensions that the game depended on, with compute shaders and tessellation being two of the main ones. Mesa has supported those extensions and more for months now so I see no reason for recent releases not to include Intel and Radeon graphics in at least the minimum specs along with a Mesa version (either 13.0 or 17.0 and newer). Not including that leads to the kind of confusion demonstrated in this thread.

Comment

The problem lies in that these games use a 3d party multiplayer engine that uses raw values from floating point calculations in their protocol and VS and GCC does not produce 100% compatible raw floats/doubles on calculations.
                That's no excuse. GCC runs fine on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  It might be that it it isn't officially supported because it doesn't work with the versions of mesa being shipped by a lot of the current crop of fixed-released distributions. If you're a Linux user you should be used to doing your own research and seeing if it works on your setup. If you're not prepared to do that maybe you should be on Windows.

We've got a confirmation in this thread that it works on mesa on a 480 in this thread, that's good enough for me. I don't care if it's officially supported on that setup, just as long as it works. Ferel have had releases where they haven't listed support for, but have worked to implement support for, mesa. I'm ok with this, it's not like they've got infinite resources, and if having to use community resources rather than company resources is what it takes to make Linux releases viable then fine.

If I've got a problem with a game, my first port-of-call is the Arch wiki and forums, not the devs website. That's how it should be on Linux IMO.
                  With the current state of X.Org and Mesa, you have to wonder why even LTS distributions (such as Ubuntu 14.04) do not get updated versions? And correct me if I'm wrong and they actually pushed updates for it. You don't need to follow every single point release, for stable LTS distributions, smart choice would be to wait few months after point release and push it (when bug fixes are done etc.). So then, users would be stuck with older software, but with important things upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post

Instead of fixing those problems the studios just deliver poor excuses. Truly sad.
                    Out of curiosity, what was the problem with DoW3? As developer on radv, I think the communication with them and their support has been awesome so far for all their Vulkan games, so I'm a bit surprised to see people complain about them here.

Comment

I just tested it on an R9 380 with Mesa 17.2.3, and at the beginning walking into the courtyard the screen goes black as an announcement happens, and does not come back. I am using Fedora 27 (beta), so it hasn't reached peak stability though.

Comment

Working...
                      X