Warzone 2100 Being Ported To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Is it worth fixing all this? Is this game iconic or something?
    Afaik it is the only opensource sci-fi RTS around (and by Sci-fi RTS I mean Starcraft-like, RTS encompasses also other stuff), and being open means you could theoretically work on the game AI too (unlike most other closed games that can be modded).

I also really liked that you could design your own units, and it was not a totally flat upgrade like on most modern games.

Although it also exemplifies very well the "gaming on Linux" situation in the Pre-Steam era, aka "none is giving a shit about developing".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      and being open means you could theoretically work on the game AI too (unlike most other closed games that can be modded).
      True.
      You can write own AI using ECMAScript implementation provided by QtScript (not sure if they are still using it with Qt5), AFAIR at least one such AI was later included in the base game (for multi player).

Comment

Afaik it is the only opensource sci-fi RTS around (and by Sci-fi RTS I mean Starcraft-like, RTS encompasses also other stuff), and being open means you could theoretically work on the game AI too (unlike most other closed games that can be modded).
        OpenRA is perhaps another example...

Comment

I also really liked that you could design your own units, and it was not a totally flat upgrade like on most modern games.

Although it also exemplifies very well the "gaming on Linux" situation in the Pre-Steam era, aka "none is giving a shit about developing".
          The Spring engine as well I think. Tons of of RTS mods made for it, but the engine is open source.

Comment

Hmm, all this talk reminds me about Allegiance, a space-combat + RTS blend made during the same time by MS and also open-sourced. Not ported to linux yet, though, as it still relies on directx :/. Though they did recently do a steam release.

Comment

Merged:
              Highlights: The remaining gfx_api wrapping work from @vlj's older patches / branches (updated / tweaked when necessary to preserve current OpenGL backend performance and to apply cleanly to the ma...

Comment

Working...
              X