Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Talos Principle VR Launches With Linux Support

Phoronix: The Talos Principle VR Launches With Linux Support

Croteam has just released The Talos Principle VR, the virtual reality edition of their award-winning The Talos Principle puzzle game. SteamOS/Linux with the HTC Vive is supported alongside Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FYI owners of the original edition should get a 25% discount on VR, but it's broken right now. Should be fixed shortly.

Comment

What about OSVR?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first VR-compatible game supported on Linux+Steam?

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
        What about OSVR?
        Product page suggests OSVR isn't supported; only Vive and Oculus. Note that the Steam store does mention support for OSVR, so if it isn't listed in a game, it probably won't work (at least not completely). This game seems to depend on the hand controllers, which is probably why OSVR isn't supported. The HMD ought to work fine, though.

Comment

Well OSVR has steamVR compatibility so maybe it might work. I wonder if you could use it with a normal mouse + keyboard combo

Comment

It would be interesting to see if someone could run some windows hmd on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
              This needs to happen, but it'll probably take a lot of effort to get it working even close to as well as Windows. They use inside-out tracking with (I think) only two HMD-mounted cameras. Assume that Microsoft had no less than a team of world-class computer vision & SLAM experts working full-time for a couple years on their inside-out tracking.

So, take the best open source SLAM engine and you're probably only half way there. And don't forget that every millisecond counts.

A good half-way solution would probably be to require some camera calibration posters be hung in your play space, rather than trying to use arbitrary room clutter as a HMD tracking reference.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first VR-compatible game supported on Linux+Steam?
                Nope it isn't - check here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/25082...7959064016658/

Comment

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
                  Oh cool, I had no idea about this list. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
                    OpenHMD has one borrowed from VLC (?) https://twitter.com/OpenHMD/status/920574393520181249
                    For a start they'll probably just get rotation via IMU and maybe measure the distortion.

Comment

Working...
                    X