Unity 2017.3 Beta Has Vulkan Improvements, Initial Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 2017.3 Beta Has Vulkan Improvements, Initial Wayland Support

Phoronix: Unity 2017.3 Beta Has Vulkan Improvements, Initial Wayland Support

The Unity 3D Game Engine now has available a beta release of its upcoming "2017.3" update. There are interesting changes with this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes! Wayland support! Awesome!

Comment

There are so many Unity games out there, having Wayland is a great feature! Especially as there are some input issues in XWayland, that can be really annoying and in some cases it didn't work att all and I had to switch back to X11.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        There are so many Unity games out there, having Wayland is a great feature! Especially as there are some input issues in XWayland, that can be really annoying and in some cases it didn't work att all and I had to switch back to X11.
        I suspect these games won't see updates with the new engine and I doubt you can just drop in the newer library file. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Comment

Does unity support having the editor and full game development in linux yet or is still just export support?

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
            Does unity support having the editor and full game development in linux yet or is still just export support?
            According to their download page the editor is still only available for Windows and MacOS :/

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            There are so many Unity games out there, having Wayland is a great feature!
            Yeah, the only downside being that the games "out there" will not benefit from this (only new games or updated ones).

Comment

The editor has long been available, but download links are only in the forums: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unit...2#post-3234332

As usual, the release notes do not mention whether SteamVR support on Linux is enabled and someone has to download gigabytes of data and make and export a test project just to see whether a feature works.

Comment

Here is new Linux installer: http://beta.unity3d.com/download/2ca..._download.html .
                First Linux build of editor was #2015082501. And as Unity devs stated it's considered beta so it's not available via official download.

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                  The editor has been available on linux for almost two years. The first versions were quite alpha but nowadays it works fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X