Wine Staging 2.17 Released With More Direct3D 11 Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    So is this Wine's fault or Mesa's fault? Either way it needs to be fixed.
    1.: Neither nor.
    2.: Talk to the game developers who can not code. 'compatibility' profiles are deprecated since several years, now. And wouldn't be implemented on AMD et al.
    Wine devs could develop/test with clean gfx/driver equipment, too.
    Last edited by nuetzel; 21 September 2017, 11:25 PM. Reason: Additional info appended.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Who cares if most apps are done for Nvidia GPUs?
      ...and 'broken' drivers?

Most GPUs on the planet are _Intel_ (for desktops).

What about workaround it to counter measure this monopoly? :P
      You would not countermeasure this part of the market, you will cementing it.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

1.: Neither nor.
        2.: Talk to the game developers who can not code. 'compatibility' profiles are deprecated since several years, now. And wouldn't be implemented on AMD et al.
        Wine devs could develop/test with clean gfx/driver equipment, too.
        So how does this help me run Windows games with Wine? Just accept that it's depreciated?

Comment

So how does this help me run Windows games with Wine? Just accept that it's depreciated?
          As I mentioned in the prev. comment, wine-staging is using core profiles. I don't know if it was merged into the main Wine branch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            What fault?

By the way, FYI starting with wine-staging.2.12 it uses core profile — before for some reason it did use compatibility one.
            The reason I can't run CEMU and Doom 2016 through Wine, but Nvidia cards can. If you have an AMD card then install Padoka PPA and try running Doom 2016 through Wine using OpenGL. It's this bug that I'm talking about. Doesn't look like Mesa will ever fix this problem.

Originally posted by Michael Müller
            The application wants to use OpenGL compatibility contexts that are not supported by MESA. Since Wine just forwards OpenGL function calls to the host system and MESA does not intend to implement this feature, you are most probably out of luck. This bug is a duplicate of bug 38969.

Comment

The reason I can't run CEMU and Doom 2016 through Wine, but Nvidia cards can. If you have an AMD card then install Padoka PPA and try running Doom 2016 through Wine using OpenGL. It's this bug that I'm talking about. Doesn't look like Mesa will ever fix this problem.
              Ok, I see, it's a problem with the app using compatibility profile. You need to understand why compatibility profiles are bad. They are a legacy. There have been a post by former Valve developer Rich Geldreich which I unfortunately can't find, with a rant about the state of OpenGL. One thing he advised is to throw away all legacy stuff, to forcefully break the compatibility. It's widely acknowledged, that often OpenGL has dozens of ways to do a single thing, and you never know which is the best. It increases complexity and is error prone.

Using only core profile limits amount of available API, improves the code, and lowers amount of such rants from game developers. Things are not deprecated for lols. And as a side effect it eases drivers maintenance.

Comment

Even though Doom is programmed to use compat profiles, it doesn't actually. You can use an override and it will work.

Last edited by duby229; 22 September 2017, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Even though Doom is programmed to use compat profiles, it doesn't actually. You can use an override and it will work.
                  How do I do that for Doom 2016? I would use Vulkan but that doesn't seem to work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    Ok, I see, it's a problem with the app using compatibility profile. You need to understand why compatibility profiles are bad. They are a legacy. There have been a post by former Valve developer Rich Geldreich which I unfortunately can't find, with a rant about the state of OpenGL. One thing he advised is to throw away all legacy stuff, to forcefully break the compatibility. It's widely acknowledged, that often OpenGL has dozens of ways to do a single thing, and you never know which is the best. It increases complexity and is error prone.

Using only core profile limits amount of available API, improves the code, and lowers amount of such rants from game developers. Things are not deprecated for lols. And as a side effect it eases drivers maintenance.
                    There isn't a way that Wine can force compatibility for AMD and Intel users? The endeavor is noble and everything but that does get confusing when Nvidia users are reporting certain games working while AMD and Intel users are left wondering why it doesn't work for them. Especially when dealing with Windows games were legacy is sorta their business.
                    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 22 September 2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Hi-Angel point you in the right direction: try wine-staging

Even though Dave Airlie told on mesa-devel that he successfully tested Doom 2016 if I remember right. Grep for Doom 2016 and maybe vulkan. Jason Ekstrand <[email protected]> implemented a 'spirv: Work around the Doom shader bug' https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...6694941a6f02e0 on 2017-06-21 01:51:26 (GMT) for Intel/RADV (AMD) Vulkan. And Dave's hack patch never landed, so try vulkan.
                      Phoronix had this post about: Mesa Git Should Now Work With Intel/RADV Vulkan For Doom Under Wine
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rumors where that the 'next' Doom 2016 release could be using 'core profile'. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X