Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
    It isn't wine's fault that AMD's core profiles are broken
    From what I understand is that applications like Wine are using an outdated form of core profiles, which is why most Steam games work fine. Though RBDoom3BFG has a similar problem from using oudated core profiles. This was dsalts fix for RBDoom3RBG.

mikakev1 who's made a sorta patch for Gallium had this to say. If we just keep using Nvidia cards then we'll never know the problems that exist with Gallium/Mesa. It also effects Intel users as well.

Originally posted by mikakev1
    Cemu will not work in CORE PROFILE, without "allow relaxed core profile"
    Cemu could work (but not XCX) up to 1.7.4 in COMPATIBILITY with "allow an enhanced (3.1+) ...."
    With 1.7.5, Cemu starts but the display is completly garbled, the standard MESA does not allow Direct State Access in COMPATIBILITY.

The story behind "relaxed core profile", is that it's the result of a long debugging session, in an attempt to make XCX works on my R9270X (I did not want to buy a Nvidia, and I still do not want), the fact I made it works on intel is a side effect when trying to help someone.
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 21 September 2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Prey 2017 is definitely playable now, at 2.16 staging there was still missing/black textures, 2.17 seems to have fixed nearly all those problems although there does appear to be some flashing on the computer monitors in the game and some sound distortion.

Nevertheless, it's awfully nice to see a 2017 DX11 game playing well on wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

From what I understand is that applications like Wine are using an outdated form of core profiles, which is why most Steam games work fine. Though RBDoom3BFG has a similar problem from using oudated core profiles. This was dsalts fix for RBDoom3RBG.

mikakev1 who's made a sorta patch for Gallium had this to say. If we just keep using Nvidia cards then we'll never know the problems that exist with Gallium/Mesa. It also effects Intel users as well.
        What are "outdated core profiles" anyway?

I took a look through your links, none of them related to bad support of core profile in Mesa.

The 1-st bugreport thread: it's very long, and is still investigated, so I only looked specifically parts you mentioned, i.e. about core profiles. The conclusion is it's a fault of the app. On side note, it's very annoying how OP noted an issue with development version, and without knowing the exact reasons and without trying the stable, went straight to reporting to app devs.

The patch you linked simply enables core profile for Mesa (I don't know why not for everyone). You feel that, right? It did not even use core profile!

And finally, the mikakev1'squote — the thing he calls "relaxed core profile" is some special term mikakev1 is using to call overriding compatibility profile version. Do I need to elaborate any further?

Comment

Oh, I forgot — FYI Mesa drivers have always been one of the best. There're various comparison out there — for an example see this one (very old though, 2013y) from Dolphin developers https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            Oh, I forgot — FYI Mesa drivers have always been one of the best. They're various comparison out there — for an example see this one (very old though, 2013y) from Dolphin developers https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/
            Who cares if most apps are done for Nvidia GPUs? What about workaround it to counter measure this monopoly? :P

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Who cares if most apps are done for Nvidia GPUs? What about workaround it to counter measure this monopoly? :P
              Well, Dolphin devs do care, as you see. There are a bunch of peoples who cares. My guess it that app developers who are getting great bugreports (as in, with technical proof that the problem is in their app) for not working with non-NVidia would care too. It's rather that such bugreports are rare.

Comment

Well, Dolphin devs do care, as you see. There are a bunch of peoples who cares. My guess it that app developers who are getting great bugreports (as in, with technical proof that the problem is in their app) for not working with non-NVidia would care too. It's rather that such bugreports are rare.
                Making bugreports aren't easy for the user at all, that's why they aren't done. Fedora project has a set of tools and certain procedures to make bugreports very user-friendly and even done in irc, but of course they have the resources for that.

Developers need to think on the user mindset, much less used to certain procedures and often getting "distracted" with real life stuff and such. The more easy and fast bugreports are for the user, the better

Comment

I read the link you posted. And I suppose from a OpenGL perspective their opinions about nVidia's proprietary driver is probably spot on, But from a display point of view, I guess a desktop point of view, even Nouveau is better. Especially on multimonitor configurations nVidia's driver sucks ass. There are years old bugs in regards to multimonitor setups. It's pretty darn bad.

Comment

What are "outdated core profiles" anyway?

I took a look through your links, none of them related to bad support of core profile in Mesa.

The 1-st bugreport thread: it's very long, and is still investigated, so I only looked specifically parts you mentioned, i.e. about core profiles. The conclusion is it's a fault of the app. On side note, it's very annoying how OP noted an issue with development version, and without knowing the exact reasons and without trying the stable, went straight to reporting to app devs.

The patch you linked simply enables core profile for Mesa (I don't know why not for everyone). You feel that, right? It did not even use core profile!

And finally, the mikakev1'squote — the thing he calls "relaxed core profile" is some special term mikakev1 is using to call overriding compatibility profile version. Do I need to elaborate any further?
                    So is this Wine's fault or Mesa's fault? Either way it needs to be fixed.

Comment

So is this Wine's fault or Mesa's fault? Either way it needs to be fixed.
                      What fault?

By the way, FYI starting with wine-staging.2.12 it uses core profile — before for some reason it did use compatibility one.

Comment

Working...
                      X