Steam Should Now Have Lower CPU Usage In The Background, DPI Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Should Now Have Lower CPU Usage In The Background, DPI Scaling

Phoronix: Steam Should Now Have Lower CPU Usage In The Background, DPI Scaling

Valve pushed out a new Steam beta overnight and it's a bit heavier on the feature side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also of interest is that the Steam Overlay is now DPI-aware and is able to scale appropriately for games running at very high resolutions. Great to see Valve finally putting more of a focus on HiDPI displays.
    It's probably just a simple, blurry upscaling, but still better than nothing. Shame on Steam, "the number one PC gaming platform" for taking soo long to properly support 4K gaming.

Fixed excessive blurriness in Big Picture mode on high-DPI monitors under Windows 10
    Now this is interesting. Do they finally have a sharp, high-resolution Big Picture mode, or is this really just some other bugfix?

Maybe in 4-5 years we'll have a HiDPI-aware desktop client too...

Comment

Volvo please fix the annoying login bug on Linux (and mac?): https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/5030

Edit: 1821 open issues on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        Volvo please fix the annoying login bug on Linux (and mac?): https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/5030

Edit: 1821 open issues on Linux...
        I don't think Volvo is able to fix this

Comment

What about DPI calling for the main desktop interface?!

Comment

I bet Volvo are quite familiar with Linux machines with Nvidia graphics cards... :-)

Volvo Cars and Autoliv are teaming up with NVIDIA to develop advanced systems and software for AI self-driving cars, the companies announced today.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
              What about DPI calling for the main desktop interface?!
              I was also excited reading the headline then realized it is not about the main desktop interface and in the comments from the steam forum there is one from a valve employee:
              "Sorry guys, the main UI is still scaled up on high DPI monitors on Windows - this is just the overlay we're talking about here But maybe soon..."

So not yet and I don't like the Windows only reference but we'll see.

Comment

I never felt CPU usage was that bad to begin with. RAM usage I would appreciate being lower.

Comment

Some people are affected by this nasty bug, I really want Valve to fix this in the next stable update:

Your system information Steam client version (build number or date): 1504757234 Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): Debian 9 Opted into Steam client beta?: [Yes/No] both Have you checked for system updates...

Comment

Originally posted by gbil View Post

I was also excited reading the headline then realized it is not about the main desktop interface and in the comments from the steam forum there is one from a valve employee:
                    "Sorry guys, the main UI is still scaled up on high DPI monitors on Windows - this is just the overlay we're talking about here But maybe soon..."

So not yet and I don't like the Windows only reference but we'll see.
                    Maybe he replied with a Windows-olny reference because:

1 The subject was about Windows
                    2 The Windows client will be the first one to receive proper high DPI treatment, followed by the Mac and Linux client

I'm guessing it's one of those two.

Comment

Working...
                    X