No announcement yet.

EA's Frostbite Engine Has Been Internally Up And Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care about package management in Windows. That's absolutely beside the point. Oh, wait, Steam provides it. MSI has it (read about MSPs and shit). What else do you need? Meanwhile Linux has package management and we have 200+ binary incompatible Linux distros. So much for compatibility.

The power of an OS is not in its shaky unstable parts, the power is in its platform features: the ability to provide a stable supported set of core APIs/ABIs, including stable internal kernel interfaces. Windows has it. Android has it. MacOS has it. Even FreeBSD has it. Linux has nothing like that.

Anyways, you've discredited yourself so much I'm not willing to go along with your lame attempts to defame Microsoft Windows. Don't bother replying to this post. Your previous comments have so much essence the would would be better off without them.

Comment

If a game dev manages to make its game compatible with Wine, it automatically makes the game compatible with all Linux distros.

There's no time wasted trying to port Win32 APIs to unstable poorly documented Linux APIs and no time wasted trying to "package" the game using Flatpak or some other BS VM image.

Windows applications sport better compatibility with Linux distros than Linux distros with each other.

I wonder how on Earth that's not the cause for a heated debate in the Linux community. It might be because every Linux lunatic believes their favorite distro version N is Linux. OMFG.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I don't care about package management in Windows. That's absolutely beside the point. Oh, wait, Steam provides it. MSI has it (read about MSPs and shit). What else do you need? Meanwhile Linux has package management and we have 200+ binary incompatible Linux distros. So much for compatibility.

The power of an OS is not in its shaky unstable parts, the power is in its platform features: the ability to provide a stable supported set of core APIs/ABIs, including stable internal kernel interfaces. Windows has it. Android has it. MacOS has it. Even FreeBSD has it. Linux has nothing like that.

Anyways, you've discredited yourself so much I'm not willing to go along with your lame attempts to defame Microsoft Windows. Don't bother replying to this post. Your previous comments have so much essence the would would be better off without them.
        Dude, you really do seem insane.

Comment

Then I want BF Bad Company 2 Linux port DRM free on GoG.com.

Comment

Interesting news. Porting Origin and have their classical games available in wine wrappers would also help. And if they're smart, they will populate Origin with older titles, like the NFS ones. Most of them run great under wine, so that alone would create a huge buzz for EA. Not because of NFS, but because Origin would finally start to look promising.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
              Then I want BF Bad Company 2 Linux port DRM free on GoG.com.
              AFAIK there wasn't any real DRM file-wise. Majority of the players did play multiplayer component of Bad Company 2 (including myself http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/Unit_Rx400) and touched single player no more than once or twice. It was static more-or-less scripted campaign - so it got boring after first time.

For playing online you needed valid serial which was associated with your game account (soldier avatar) and which was not re-usable for other accounts. If you entered some server, servers anticheat engine checked the validity of your serial (Punkbuster GUID) and if it was valid, let you play. If your game client did not sent data to server's anticheat engine or it was invalid - you got automatically removed. Pirated content - you can play single player but not online. There was no need for DRM bs with such fool-proof system.

Also, you could probably get it working over Wine. Bad Company 2 was dual-directX game. It supported both DX10 and old DX9. Switching between them was a matter of providing proper command line switch in desktop shortcut.
              Last edited by aht0; 15 September 2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X