Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA's Frostbite Engine Has Been Internally Up And Running On Linux

Phoronix: EA's Frostbite Engine Has Been Internally Up And Running On Linux

While not for public consumption at least for now, the Electronic Arts' Frostbite game engine has seen internal Linux testing/development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

im dreaming about the day I can finally remove windows from my life and run games natively in linux

Comment

To avoid Linux maintenance costs they should release a ... Windows binary which uses Vulkan internally.

It could be made work under Wine perfectly with a minimal effort. This way you don't need to test your game under >1 000 000 000 Linux distros permutations. You just say that this version of Wine runs your game perfectly. You're then all set and done.

In fact this is how I see the future of Linux gaming given the fact that LSB died without gaining any sizable traction.
      Last edited by birdie; 07 September 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

<generic flaming towards EA games>

Comment

AMAZING!
          I actually didn't like EA, I haven't bought their games for years now. But when they would really release their games on Linux - I would be very interested in FIFA and Battlefield 1 - I would absolutely give them a new chance. Because that would be a complete turn in one point that is a big indicator that other points may have changed in a comparable way.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          To avoid Linux maintenance costs they should release a ... Windows binary which uses Vulkan internally.
          Lol - what kind of Linux user are you? I would never buy DOOM as long as it doesn't run natively. Don't support unsupporters!

Comment

Oh EA..... Their history with copy protection mechanisms and cd keys turned me off from them so bad many years ago. I just hated them for it. There's Origin now. Port Origin to linux EA, just do it. And then, and then I'll reconsider your entire linux compatible archive.

Comment

It could be made work under Wine perfectly with a minimal effort. This way you don't need to test your game under >1 000 000 000 Linux distros permutations. You just say that this version of Wine runs your game perfectly. You're then all set and done.

In fact this is how I see the future of Linux gaming given the fact that LSB died without gaining any sizable traction.
              I haven't heard this nonesense in years. Nobody is testing Linux software on "1 000 000 000" Linux "permutations" and there is no need for it.

Comment

Ugh, no. You make it work on Debian and CentOS, don't make stupid decisions like hard linking to specific library versions, and all the other distros will figure it out for you and/or provide free feedback. Some feedback you'll listen to, but most you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Ugh, no. You make it work on Debian and CentOS, don't make stupid decisions like hard linking to specific library versions, and all the other distros will figure it out for you and/or provide free feedback. Some feedback you'll listen to, but most you won't.
                  No you make it work on Ubuntu, same as Steam did where Ubuntu is the only officially supported distribution because it is the most popular one and has a large family of *buntu distributions and mostly compatible forks, to target Ubuntu is to target the largest possible amount of Linux users. Targeting CentOS which is marginally used on the desktop is completely pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Good luck running CentOS 7 binaries in Debian/Ubuntu. They cannot even make their SSL libraries so-names compatible.

What a bunch of lunatics.

"Binary compatible Linux distors". Lol. Let's find another less lame joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X