Wine-Staging 2.16 Released With More D3D9/D3D11 Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    Lately Wine releases fix less and less bugs.
    I wonder if this is a sign that it's getting mature, the progress is slowing down, or maybe they're preping for some major changes...
    There are a number of reasons for this AFAICT. On one hand there are many D3D10 and D3D11-related bugs that are not easy for most testers to classify, so there's no point reporting another one of those with "corrupted graphics in game X" or "D3D11 crash (maybe) in game Y". This means progress on the D3D11 front isn't immediately so clear as there isn't a bunch of bugs getting closed upon each release. Perhaps this will change given more time when D3D11 applications not running correctly become the exception rather than then norm, and reporting such things will be more beneficial and helpful.

Another big issue is with the way wine-staging works. Too many patches seem to be hanging around in wine-staging for too long for important things. eg. Last I checked (a few months back) DRM platforms like Origin and Uplay required a bunch of patches from wine-staging to work correctly - but it wasn't clear which specifically. When testing a bug reported against the main (non-staging) Wine, testing with all the staging patches isn't all that helpful - you want the minimum required patches to do the job and you want to report precisely what was tested. Finding which patches are required to get Origin or whatever working can be both very difficult, and very time consuming as you likely need to compile many times (adding patch sets along the way) before you get it working. So if you want to test a game in Origin, you potentially have a lot of work involved before you can even start. This seems to have turned a lot of testers away (myself included), which means no bug reports to close.

And Wine-staging makes regression testing really hard! All staging patches seem to be rebased against upstream git tags, so what happens when you know 2.15-staging was working and 2.16-staging wasn't? You can't just run a git bisect and start testing from a commit in the middle, because there is no middle. Chances are, neither patches from 2.15-staging or 2.16-staging will apply cleanly, which results in a lot of burden on the tester which didn't previously exist. It used to be that staging could be ignored, but as said above, so many critical patches to get DRM gaming platforms working seem to hang around in staging forever so ignoring wine-staging is no longer an option - at least for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What about asking Padoka and Oibaf to patch MESA?
      There's no patch yet, and I don't think Oibaf and Padoka are gonna write code for that.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Or get a Cemu patron to ask for not using a compat profile
        I'd rather they make a Linux port, but that isn't coming anytime soon.

I tried Doom3BFG in Wine and got the same digital vomit that I experienced with RBDoom3BFG natively in Linux. Either way it's going to hurt people who are using Mesa and want to run Windows games that use OpenGL.
        Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09 September 2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I'd rather they make a Linux port, but that isn't coming anytime soon.
          I'd rather they don't and have people focus on decaf instead

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I'd rather they don't and have people focus on decaf instead
            Why decaf? What about making the effort part of Dolphin instead? Despite WiiU is a rather different platform, it has a lot more infrastructure and users.

Comment

Dolphin won't support the WiiU ever, it's too different.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                There are a number of reasons for this AFAICT. On one hand there are many D3D10 and D3D11-related bugs that are not easy for most testers to classify, so there's no point reporting another one of those with "corrupted graphics in game X" or "D3D11 crash (maybe) in game Y". This means progress on the D3D11 front isn't immediately so clear as there isn't a bunch of bugs getting closed upon each release. Perhaps this will change given more time when D3D11 applications not running correctly become the exception rather than then norm, and reporting such things will be more beneficial and helpful.

Another big issue is with the way wine-staging works. Too many patches seem to be hanging around in wine-staging for too long for important things. eg. Last I checked (a few months back) DRM platforms like Origin and Uplay required a bunch of patches from wine-staging to work correctly - but it wasn't clear which specifically. When testing a bug reported against the main (non-staging) Wine, testing with all the staging patches isn't all that helpful - you want the minimum required patches to do the job and you want to report precisely what was tested. Finding which patches are required to get Origin or whatever working can be both very difficult, and very time consuming as you likely need to compile many times (adding patch sets along the way) before you get it working. So if you want to test a game in Origin, you potentially have a lot of work involved before you can even start. This seems to have turned a lot of testers away (myself included), which means no bug reports to close.

And Wine-staging makes regression testing really hard! All staging patches seem to be rebased against upstream git tags, so what happens when you know 2.15-staging was working and 2.16-staging wasn't? You can't just run a git bisect and start testing from a commit in the middle, because there is no middle. Chances are, neither patches from 2.15-staging or 2.16-staging will apply cleanly, which results in a lot of burden on the tester which didn't previously exist. It used to be that staging could be ignored, but as said above, so many critical patches to get DRM gaming platforms working seem to hang around in staging forever so ignoring wine-staging is no longer an option - at least for the time being.
                Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation. It gave me insight in many other aspects of Wine development that i wasn't even aware of.
                Perhaps Wine would benefit from an automated tested platform where you could write a test case, add it to the system and it would get tested automatically whenever a new patch was submited?
                If such a thing is even possible...

Comment

World of Warships in Dx11 mode:

Close, but not quite there yet

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Origin works fine easily with wine-staging.
                    Yes it does. But then you can only file game-related bugs against wine-staging.

Comment

Working...
                    X