Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core i7 / Core i9 / Ryzen 7 / Threadripper OpenGL+Vulkan Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

Simply the following: Clear Linux is said to be optimized for Intel processors. How well do AMD processors fare in that environment?
    Ah, OK. Michael has already done some testing of Clear with Ryzen, and in many cases Clear runs faster on Ryzen as well. In fact if my memory serves, sometimes optimising for Intel had better results than optimising for Ryzen... in other words the Ryzen-native instruction scheduling for GCC at that time was poor.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

So you don't have a release manager, or change controls, just rely on customer bug experiences, and you're the most capable person in your whole development stack (the person responsible for ensuring quality by fixing bugs) but you don't have any input into the RCS, even though you hate it and it's impacting your ability to do your job. Okay, now I agree. Find another job. Doesn't sound like your employer will be in business much longer.
      This is where it gets interesting. The company is doing ok, because of other branches (less software oriented/reliant). I'm getting my fattest pay checks so far doing basically whatever I want because no one cares.
      And I wouldn't say I'm the most capable, but all the capable guys have big enough egos that there's no way to reach a consensus about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

This is where it gets interesting. The company is doing ok, because of other branches (less software oriented/reliant). I'm getting my fattest pay checks so far doing basically whatever I want because no one cares.
        And I wouldn't say I'm the most capable, but all the capable guys have big enough egos that there's no way to reach a consensus about anything.
        There's a trick I learned some years ago, and it seems unbelievable at first but I bet several people will pipe in with their own experiences. If your employer is letting you run around and do what you like then your time isn't important to them because you aren't getting paid enough for them to care. This is mostly because they see you as being productive, too. Now here's the ironic bit - you are getting paid less because you are doing more. If you demanded a higher wage, they would care a lot more about what you do, they would select only certain special tasks for you, and a lot of the time you'd be "planning" which boils down to shooting the sh*t with management and other team leads. Have that ego, do less, get paid more, it starts with you pointing out to management that you deserve a raise because if you had planned/overseen this, they would have made their bonus sooner blah blah. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

There's a trick I learned some years ago, and it seems unbelievable at first but I bet several people will pipe in with their own experiences. If your employer is letting you run around and do what you like then your time isn't important to them because you aren't getting paid enough for them to care. This is mostly because they see you as being productive, too. Now here's the ironic bit - you are getting paid less because you are doing more. If you demanded a higher wage, they would care a lot more about what you do, they would select only certain special tasks for you, and a lot of the time you'd be "planning" which boils down to shooting the sh*t with management and other team leads. Have that ego, do less, get paid more, it starts with you pointing out to management that you deserve a raise because if you had planned/overseen this, they would have made their bonus sooner blah blah. :-)
          Neah, that won't fly. Basically they're so accustomed to selling bare metal for decades, they only see software as the new kid on the block that makes it harder for them to sell their ,etal.
          What can I say, being paid a crapload of money to do basically nothing isn't exactly the worst setup. But it drives me nuts there so many interesting things going on in the world and I'm not part of any of them. I'm going to start my own pet project (if I manage to find the time) and let that be my anchor. Otherwise, I'll probably start looking around.
          Last edited by bug77; 05 September 2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X