No announcement yet.

Icculus Ports Prey Game Client To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if Tuxgames will be stocking it? Failing that the best way to purchase this game to show support for the linux client?

I've actually been eying off this game for a while with thoughts of giving it a shot under wine, this truly is an added bonus.

Comment

Good to know my $5 bargin bin purchase will soon work natively in linux.

Comment

This is good news!
        I didn't bought the game yet, but now that a Linux client is out, this of course will change immediately!

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
          Does anyone know if Tuxgames will be stocking it? Failing that the best way to purchase this game to show support for the linux client?

I've actually been eying off this game for a while with thoughts of giving it a shot under wine, this truly is an added bonus.
          TuxGames has it there now, for $15. I tried the demo last night, looks good! If I can't find it in my usual places to buy, I'll order it from TuxGames.

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
            Nothing new, a working version of the demo existed back in 2006. It was ported from the binary by the alky project (now dead). It is the same team that ported halo2 pc to XP. They have some kind of auto reverse engeneering tools (GPLed) to translate DX code to OpenGL. The game have always been close to work under Linux.
            Excuse me, but where are you getting your information from?

Comment

Great that they're supporting Icculus in his ports, but of course commercial game support on Linux is highly lacking but slowly changing. Wouldn't it be great to get same-day multi-platform support for games directly from the companies? It's sad how they brush off Linux and pay for some dis-associated developer to port it so anyone looking at the game on most any website talking about it won't have a clue it's for Linux as well as Windows, not even the company's official websites mention Linux, or if they do you have to really dig deep.

Oh Linux how we love you, but you still have a long road ahead of you until world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Excuse me, but where are you getting your information from?
                Probably this: http://groups.google.com/group/alkyp...1f81dbe8787d7e

The (now dead) Alky project used the Prey demo as a proof of concept for their product.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Probably this: http://groups.google.com/group/alkyp...1f81dbe8787d7e

The (now dead) Alky project used the Prey demo as a proof of concept for their product.
                  Heh... Just because the Alky project used that as a proof of concept doesn't lead that this is the same thing. Keep in mind, Ryan did their server for them. Typically he does the client as part of the deal, leaving it up to the studio and publisher as to whether they make it available. This has been lurking for a bit is about all I can say on the mattter- and it's not the Alky project stuff, as best as I know of.

Comment

In that case: why on earht wouldn't they make it avaiable??

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
                      In that case: why on earht wouldn't they make it avaiable??
                      Rights holder was wanting their cut of things as best as I can tell- keep in mind, everyone getting a Linux version out of iD and Epic in the past was out of the kindness of their hearts. Normally, you have to either have the official publisher interested (Which isn't likely- we're still viewed as this piddling userbase that can only muster 2k unit sales at best... When you're talking anywhere from 100k-1M unit sales for things like Quake4, UT3, Prey, etc...we've constantly and consistently shown we're NOT interested in Linux versions...) or have another publisher with permission from the original one and royalties paid to have the privilege of publishing it on the the alternate platform. It looks like someone had a change of mind or a publisher got enough cash up to pull the trigger on the port.

Biggest problem people keep having is that they keep thinking they're the studio's customer (Which is patently wrong...you're a potential USER of the title, but your customer relationship is with the RETAILER, which doesn't care about Linux/Windows...) and that any number more sales count for more money. For an Indie, that's the case. For a studio like iD or 3D Realms/Human Head, that's NOT the case- unless you're talking 10k or more units, you don't matter. Serious.

Comment

Working...
                      X