Linux's New Mouse Configuration Utility Is Getting Some Spit 'n Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

GhostOfFunks looks like another gnome troll that I forget the name, so you can blacklist one account and they might create another
    I know who you mean, though I too forgot the name.

The first few posts of new accounts end up in the moderation queue, which should make it a bit less fun and slow them down. While not being a perfect meassure, I don't see how being able to hide users wouldn't at least improve this situation.

Comment

I believe the old one was Griffin.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

You know, I've always wondered whether die-hard trolls are doing it for attention, or they're basically just shit-disturbers, or maybe just mentally ill. The latter at least could be understood, if not somewhat justified.
        Get over it. GNOME is the official DE for Linux now. KDE and OpenSuse are also rans. The rest are just hobbyists projects. I'm glad there is diversity. But I also like that Linux is maturing and finally starting to settle on some standards. Which inlcudes GNOME as the official DE. Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS. It's about time that fragmentation comes to an end.

But hey....there's always HaikuOS for your geek pleasure. And KDE for if you are in the mood for someone ejaculating buttons all over the place for every....single....possible....irrelevant use case. You know...just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          Why spend man hours on an inferior desktop when the better desktop comes for free?
          [...]
          SUSE already decided that paid hours goes to GNOME development and audit.
          So does it come for free or do thay have to spend paid hours?

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
            You know, I've always wondered whether die-hard trolls are doing it for attention, or they're basically just shit-disturbers, or maybe just mentally ill. The latter at least could be understood, if not somewhat justified.
            They're also something of an embarrassment to the projects they "support", and to the other users of those projects. I remember a few years back, one of the KDE developers losing patience with "fans" crapping all over his blog comments with their anti-Gnome tirades, and telling them where they could stick their abuse.

Because for the most part, rival projects like Gnome and KDE actually get on pretty well... they follow each others blogs, attend each others conferences, go out for a drink afterwards. It's the "fans" that make things awkward...

Comment

hey, hey, gnome is great... keep it for your self, i and many other will use something else. If gnome devs do not listen to people, people will use other DE. if it is fine for you, great for you!

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Which is a darn shame given how often they imitate the surface details of some other design without understanding the deeper rationale (often based on academic research) and miss the point completely. (this is commonly called cargo cult behaviour.)

Two examples being:
                1. Putting dialog action buttons in the header bar rather than in the bottom-left/right corner in accordance with the principle that a dialog should read like a paper form, with the last action your perform being at the "end of the last line on the page".
                2. Using a green arrow pointing to a hard drive for "save" because they don't grasp that...
                  1. Diskettes were originally used as an affordance. That principle doesn't hold for an arrow pointing at a hard drive if none of your users recognize what an internal hard drive is.
                  2. Research has shown that once learning the purpose of things has occurred, icons with affordances perform no better than abstract symbols. (This is such a basic thing that it was in the very first HCI textbook I ever had.)
                  3. An entire generation has grown up seeing the diskette as the abstract glyph for "save". (To the point that, before they switched to a Download icon, the developers of the Google Chrome PDF reader accidentally put the clipped corner in the wrong place in their simplified "pseudo-silhouette of a diskette" save icon, making us old fogies scratch our heads.)
                  4. Diskettes have a more distinctive simplified form, remaining recognizable down to 16x16 px while "arrow pointing at hard drive" does not.
                  5. We already have a green arrow icon in the GNOME icon themes: Download. It's easy to get that mixed up with Save when you have a silver hard drive against a grey toolbar.
                  6. For those who aren't color-blind, diskettes are often rendered in blue with a red-and-white label, which provides another layer of distinctiveness for easy visual acquisition.
                  7. If you need a "save all" or "save project" icon, a cascade of multiple diskettes is a simple, easy-to-understand metaphor that still scales down to 16x16px well. There's no equivalent metaphor for an arrow pointing at a disk that I've ever found.

I agree with what you said but, unfortunately, most of the worlds population is on the wrong side of the Bell curve.

Comment

Working...
                X