No announcement yet.

VkNeo: Open-Source Doom 3 Now Has A Vulkan Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lurked a forum thread on some doom site about people who were making a nice Doom 3 map, more like a small theme park city with a subway area, buildings, some toy stuff, daylight lighting.
    It was a difficult community project, just hard to do stuff. They had to plan and build accordingly as when you something slightly wrong the performance tanks.

Otherwise, Doom 3 itself wasn't that hugely taxing on hardware, a random Athlon XP or Pentium 4 did it, it worked with 384MB RAM (and on Windows 98 if you edited a byte from the .exe). You needed say a geforce ti 4200, though, then it played nice at low res (also the only game where AA 2x quincunx was useful). Support of DX7/DX8 cards was very specific. It's a bit like playing the first Quake on a Pentium 75 though : ahead of its time, but quickly superseded.

Comment

As soon as RDDoom3-BFG merges Vulkan support I'm excited to test Doom 3 on Linux :-)

To see Doom (2016) on Linux is as well on my wish list, they don't need to bother about OpenGL, just Vulkan is fine! But so far I'm glad that I never bought this game from Bethesda!

Comment

RBDOOM-3-BFG is one of the rare progressing open-source projects around the open Doom 3 code-base with ioDoom3 sadly not having seen any commits in about two years. Another open-source Doom 3 code-base with Linux support that has at least seen commits back in April is Dhewm3.
        Michael Another maintained id Tech 4 game engine is the one maintained by The Dark Mod (initially a Doom 3 mod, now standalone). There is no public repository but code snapshots are downloadable. Not as convenient as a repository on a public forge, but still open source. If you want a legal and free way to provide some id Tech 4 based benchmarks for PTS you can go The Dark Mod way. Badly, they looks like not being based on the other improved engines (like RBDOOM-3-BFG or Dhewm3) so, perhaps no 64bit and for sure, no Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Michael Another maintained id Tech 4 game engine is the one maintained by The Dark Mod (initially a Doom 3 mod, now standalone). There is no public repository but code snapshots are downloadable. Not as convenient as a repository on a public forge, but still open source. If you want a legal and free way to provide some id Tech 4 based benchmarks for PTS you can go The Dark Mod way. Badly, they looks like not being based on the other improved engines (like RBDOOM-3-BFG or Dhewm3) so, perhaps no 64bit and for sure, no Vulkan.
          When I last tried The Dark Mod (probably a year ago or so), the timedemo/benchmark functionality was not working. I had tried emailing TDM developers at the time but never heard back.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X