Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VkNeo: Open-Source Doom 3 Now Has A Vulkan Renderer

Phoronix: VkNeo: Open-Source Doom 3 Now Has A Vulkan Renderer

A few days back I wrote about an open-source Vulkan renderer coming for Doom 3, yes, the classic id Software video game. That Vulkan renderer for the id Tech 4 engine is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 600 KLOC is the whole source I think.

The Vulkan bits are a few KLOC in neo/renderer/Vulkan, plus the shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      The 600 KLOC is the whole source I think.

The Vulkan bits are a few KLOC in neo/renderer/Vulkan, plus the shaders.
      Whoops yeah, updated it. Didn't see that he didn't fork from the open Doom 3 code but did an entire commit. Anyhow, now that I've had some coffee in me at 4am:

[michael@f26-michael Vulkan]$ wc --lines *
      585 Allocator_VK.cpp
      157 Allocator_VK.h
      727 BufferObject_VK.cpp
      488 Image_VK.cpp
      59 qvk.h
      1955 RenderBackend_VK.cpp
      387 RenderDebug_VK.cpp
      1101 RenderProgs_VK.cpp
      233 Staging_VK.cpp
      82 Staging_VK.h
      5404 vma.h
      11178 total

Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's too bad the Doom 3 engine for some reason didn't become so popular.

Lots of games use a beefed up Quake, Quake II or Quake III Arena engine, but it doesn't seem much adopted the Doom 3 engine.
        I don't know, maybe some of the old beefed up Quake engines are better than the Doom 3 engine?

It would be nice if the open source community had a well-maintained modern game engine.

Comment

The fact is that DooM 3's modding community wasn't as big as Quake I/II/III, which explains why much less developers use this engine for open source project. RBDooM3 and all its enhancements - including HL2-styled soft shadows - would be a really good basis for future game development, but developers must get accustomed to it first.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Seeing how Epic had finally gotten it's third party licensing going pretty well and id Tech being somewhat difficult to work (GoldSrc was a hard fork for a reason) with it was more or less to be expected that Unreal Engine would be the goto engine for AAA developers wanting to license a featured and well supported third party engine. My understanding is that id Tech refused to license the engine to anyone before Doom 3 got released and when it got delayed developers just licensed UE 2 or 3. Then there's also the fact that the engine scaled to lower end hardware pretty badly with it's per-pixel lighting, essentially making it a "Crysis before Crysis" of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Lots of games use a beefed up Quake, Quake II or Quake III Arena engine, but it doesn't seem much adopted the Doom 3 engine.
              I don't know, maybe some of the old beefed up Quake engines are better than the Doom 3 engine?

It would be nice if the open source community had a well-maintained modern game engine.
              It absolutely sucked in regard to rendering wide open spaces. Also, as a generic renderer it also sucked immensely. It was an engine specifically for narrow corridors of the UAC facility at Mars. The first more or less all-purpose engine from idSoftware is idTech 6 but it's at least 5 to 10 years away from being open sourced.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Seeing how Epic had finally gotten it's third party licensing going pretty well and id Tech being somewhat difficult to work (GoldSrc was a hard fork for a reason) with it was more or less to be expected that Unreal Engine would be the goto engine for AAA developers wanting to license a featured and well supported third party engine. My understanding is that id Tech refused to license the engine to anyone before Doom 3 got released and when it got delayed developers just licensed UE 2 or 3. Then there's also the fact that the engine scaled to lower end hardware pretty badly with it's per-pixel lighting, essentially making it a "Crysis before Crysis" of sorts.
              Pretty much no one wanted to license it back then. UE3, though it lacked stencil shadows, was a much better engine overall.
              Last edited by birdie; 11 August 2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

With default settings, now it runs locked at 60 fps, instead of being locked at 60 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  The first more or less all-purpose engine from idSoftware is idTech 6 but it's at least 5 to 10 years away from being open sourced.
                  idTech 6 will never be open-sourced, mark my words. It's Bethesda's tech now.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

idTech 6 will never be open-sourced, mark my words. It's Bethesda's tech now.
                    Unfortunately. you are 100% right

Comment

Working...
                    X