Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Gets Into Digital Card Games By Announcing "Artifact"

Phoronix: Valve Gets Into Digital Card Games By Announcing "Artifact"

Valve dropped a teaser overnight on finally a new, original game... Artifact. They describe it as a "Dota card game" for those interested...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What can I say, people can be a bit dumb sometimes.

It was quite obvious that if Valve releases a game other than HL3 / a new installment of their other known series', it'll get negative backslash.

I'm personally really excited for this game. Knowing Valve, there's a possibility it'll be really fun and monetized in a sane way. Plus, there are not too many card games supported on Linux, while with Valve it's basically guaranteed to get good Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
      What is this in reference to?

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

What is this in reference to?
        The amount of negativity surrounding the announcement of this game. The youtube like ratio for example is ~2k likes to ~8k dislikes. Sure, it's a card game and people probably don't think too highly of them these days. Sure, it's no HL3. But really, can't you see any way in which it could be a good game?

The mindless hate before having seen a second of the gameplay is what I call dumb.

Comment

After all this years... Great, what will be next, Solitaire, Chess, Pong? Valve is so dead.

Comment

The thing that most confuses me about this is that there are people at Valve that actually wanted to devote time to working on "the spinoff virtual card" game

Comment

I have been disappointed with the digital card game genre so far. So I am very excited to see how Valve will approach this genre and reinvent it, like they always do.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                The thing that most confuses me about this is that there are people at Valve that actually wanted to devote time to working on "the spinoff virtual card" game
                I know at least two people who are working on this project. One of them is Brad Muir who used to work at Double Fine, got hired by Valve to work on this in December 2015, he was the project lead of Iron Brigade, Brazen and Massive Chalice at DF. https://twitter.com/MrMooEar/status/895092648469450752

The other one is Steve Jaros, who I think was a designer or something on all of the Saint's Row games. He's the writer for this game and Dota 2.

But really, if there are people who wanted to work on such a game just let them do so. Hearthstone is popular. Gwent is popular. Who knows how good of a game Valve can make this be? Possibly a HS + Gwent killer?

Comment

It was quite obvious that if Valve releases a game other than HL3 / a new installment of their other known series', it'll get negative backslash.

I'm personally really excited for this game. Knowing Valve, there's a possibility it'll be really fun and monetized in a sane way. Plus, there are not too many card games supported on Linux, while with Valve it's basically guaranteed to get good Linux support.
                  Or... Or... It could be the fact that it's a card game and therefore something that really shouldn't be being hyped up by Valve at all. Oh Oh Yes as you point out in your later comment muh Hearthstone, muh Gwent... except Blizzard is a company we expect nothing but people to be screwed by, and Gwent turning into it's own game had to do with the popularity of it as a minigame.

No.. what's expected from Valve are games that are novel and highly innovative, not a game that's literally just a corporate cash-in on the existing franchise of dota.

Comment

Doesn't matter what Valve does - people are going to complain. Despite that it may not ever exist, people's expectations of HL3 are so high that whatever Valve releases will be negatively criticized. They have a talented staff but there's not much they can do to please people because Valve's reputation is too high - higher than it really ought to be.

I think what Valve should do is re-create the entire HL series as a single continuous game, with a modern engine, modern graphics, improved audio, etc. Then, make an "alternate playthrough" where the game is mostly the same except adjusted for things people really didn't like, such as replacing Nihilanth or implement a better closure to the ending.

Comment

Working...
                    X