Libratbag-Powered Piper Is Looking Good For Configuring Gaming Mice On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair, he's not wrong.
    SSDs break compositing and make UI design less flexible.

The only upside to them is having a more unified design. But you can probably achieve the same with CSDs, a solid default template and a simple API to draw to it.
    Even if that means it's not enforced in quite the same way SSDs are (which does, again, make it more flexible however).

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
      To be fair, he's not wrong.
      Nah, he is wrong, as he is parroting a third party decision without understanding it. That's wrong enough.

SSDs break compositing and make UI design less flexible.
      Meh, SSDs may not be cool in a hypotetical situation where everything else is great, but in real life (and Qt) they may make more sense. And I don't see how they break compositing. The compositor itself must support them or the application can't use them of course.

Anyway the main issue here is that there are programs that want to use either so you have to provide both anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Nah, he is wrong, as he is parroting a third party decision without understanding it. That's wrong enough.

Meh, SSDs may not be cool in a hypotetical situation where everything else is great, but in real life (and Qt) they may make more sense. And I don't see how they break compositing. The compositor itself must support them or the application can't use them of course.

Anyway the main issue here is that there are programs that want to use either so you have to provide both anyway.
        Haven't been using SSDs myself for quite some time, but there were screenshots floating around a couple years ago where a window animation (wobbly windows) was breaking on SSDs by creating very noticeable seam between the window and its contents.

Comment

Haven't been using SSDs myself for quite some time, but there were screenshots floating around a couple years ago where a window animation (wobbly windows) was breaking on SSDs by creating very noticeable seam between the window and its contents.
          I will be honest, I would just chock that up to X11 being.... X11.

That said, the conformity was the real issue at large. Frankly, server-side decoration are rather ridged when it comes to design and since wayland was of the business of letting the client's basically do what it want's with it's own window, server-side decoration don't make a whole heap of sense when the client will be ordained by wayland to just do as it pleases. You would have to create some rather big hacks to get clients to conform to server-side decoration and I am not sure that the resulting code would be a good thing in the long run. We are already dealing with a 30+ year history of doing that, wayland wasn't about to repeat that.
          Last edited by Duve; 13 August 2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X