0 A.D. Alpha 22 Venustas Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
    0 AD is an example of a single core bound game. The more units move the sloppy the game becomes - and it's clearly visible that only one core is at 100% and other "do nothing". Even few/one unit that can't reach it destination - that recalculates path over and over can screw the speed of the game.
    That's game AI, not graphics. Vulkan isn't used by AI code like say pathfinding (the one in your example).

The game is CPU bound, but not because of graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That's game AI, not graphics. Vulkan isn't used by AI code like say pathfinding (the one in your example).

The game is CPU bound, but not because of graphics.
      It doesn't matter the cause behind the CPU load. If Vulkan can free some CPU cycles to be used by the AI code it will help the overall performance. However, if most of the load is from AI and AI is happening on a single core then multithreading the AI code will be more beneficial than migrating to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        The team behind this game has done a great job. IMO the only thing preventing the game from going out of alpha and becoming production ready is the stuttering it suffers when the number of units in the game become very large. In fact, if you play it with less players or lower population limit you don't see any reason why the game is still labeled as alpha.
        Age of Empires 3 was also stuttering at times with a large number of units (and I did play it on powerful Windows 7 laptops!), yet it didn't ever have the label Alpha. So stuttering doesn't say much about a game being alpha or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Age of Empires 3 was also stuttering at times with a large number of units (and I did play it on powerful Windows 7 laptops!), yet it didn't ever have the label Alpha. So stuttering doesn't say much about a game being alpha or not.
          I would say most strategy games stutter at some point, but stuttering was pretty much the only issue I faced in 0 A.D so far and that's why I mentioned it, otherwise the game is really production quality.

Comment

How is the AI? Is it worth to play against it?

Comment

Working...
            X