Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 2017 Game Engine Released

Phoronix: Unity 2017 Game Engine Released

Unity Tech has made available their first updated game engine released under the Unity 2017 branding as part of their new versioning scheme...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wake me when you can develop the games on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Time to wake up. https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...issues.350256/

Not exactly great that it is still released in a forum thread, but it does work.

Comment

uh... you can already ? there are bugs but in my experience there are also bugs on macos and windows so...

Comment

Been experimenting with the Unity editor on Linux on and off for almost 2 years already.
          Look from when this post is (August 2015).
          https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...issues.350256/
          However for whatever silly reason you always have to scroll to the bottom of the thread for the most recent builds. They don't edit the original post and provide updated download links somehow.

It used to be a VERY buggy experience back in 2015 and they took a long time to sort the bugs out, but it's in a very usable state now.
          Last edited by Degra; 11 July 2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

new mono with new .net and new c#, thats great.
            Also I wonder if there is any vulkan improvement on this version.

Comment

SteamVR for Linux is still disabled? Probably? The release notes don't say whether it's enabled or not. Why do I even read them?

Comment

The real question is, when will the legions of game developers relying on Unity start publishing games on Linux? There are still tons of games that are Windows only even if Unity runs on Linux.

Comment

Does this release include Vulkan support?
                  I hear often from developers that they don't update their Unity engine because its too much trouble to do so and introduces many issues. It will be interesting to see which games are going to run on this newer version (assuming it has vulkan)

(Vulkan not yet), damn.

Comment

Great, looking foreward to developing a new project solely on Linux on Unity.

Comment

Working...
                    X